MSI Afterburner OC Scanner is a software application that can facilitate overclocking the graphics card, specifically the Graphical Processing Unit (GPU). Since Overclocking can harm the life of a GPU due to heat, software is needed to monitor its health. MSI Afterburner is one of the most popular Windows utilities for monitoring the GPU temperature and clock speed. However, if you receive “Failed to start scanning!” when using the software, this post will help you resolve the problem.
MSI OC scanner failure error
The MSI Afterburner application employs its Overclocking (OC) scanner module as its built-in feature for the desired speed enhancement. It implements an algorithm developed by NVIDIA for its RTX 20 series GPU. However, while trying to run the scanner, users have encountered the error that reads, Failed to start scanning. Sometimes, the error may also be accompanied by codes, namely, Code 3, Code 10h, or Code 22h. Studies reveal that reconfiguring the card’s settings has often resolved the error.
Why did MSI Afterburner Overclocking Scanner fail to start scanning?
Delving deeper to identify the root cause of the error, it can be concluded that mostly incorrect settings on the software side of the graphic card or the MSI Afterburner application contribute majorly to the error as detailed below:
- Incorrect Graphics card settings: The OC scanner begins working by scanning the hardware to determine the peak overclocking speed that the GPU can attain. In such cases, if the graphics card is incorrectly configured, the chances of the said error are pretty high.
- Software conflicts: At times, third-party applications installed in the computer happen to share the same resources as the MSI Afterburner, causing a software conflict leading to the scanner failure error.
- Incorrect or outdated driver: Another potential cause for the scanning failure is the graphics card’s incorrect or discordant device driver. Discordant or incompatible device drivers can cause synchronization issues, resulting in errors. The same might happen if the graphics card driver is outdated.
- Application bugs in MSI Afterburner: Bugs in the MSI application can cause incorrect or faulty execution of the overclocking program, failing to attain the desired objective. As a result, scanning failure possibilities are ripe.
Fix MSI Afterburner failed to start scanning
When the Failed to start scanning error is encountered in MSI Afterburner OC Scanner, first restart the PC, update the software and the OS, and check if any recently installed apps could have resulted in conflict before following these recommended troubleshooting suggestions:
- Enable GPU performance counters
- Unlocking Voltage control in the MSI application
- Resolve software conflict
- Updating device driver for the Graphics Card
- Uninstalling and Reinstalling MSI Afterburner
You will need admin permission to execute these suggestions.
1] Enable GPU performance counters
By using counters, you can monitor and control how your application utilizes the GPU. This enables you to identify performance issues and check if they have been resolved. For the scanner to work, ensure these counters are available:
- Open the NVIDIA Control Panel from the Start Menu or the Desktop.
- Click the Desktop menu and then check the Enable Developer Settings.
- Under the task section, locate the Developer listing and select Manage GPU Performance Counters.
- Select Allow Access to the GPU performance counters for all users and restart the system for the changes to take effect.
2] Unlocking Voltage control in the MSI application
When you enable these settings, the MSI software will have complete access to these settings, and issues with scanning should be quickly resolved.
- Open the MSI Afterburner application.
- Select the MSI settings option from the left.
- Enable Unlock Voltage Control and Unlock Voltage Monitoring
- Click on Apply to save the changes.
3] Resolve software conflict
Another software may be using the counters and restricting another program to use it. So, if you are using such software, it is recommended to close it and run the MSI afterburner.
You can close the application windows or use the Task Manager to terminate the running process forcefully.
4] Updating device driver for the Graphics Card
Since we use software to communicate with GPU, any driver update can impact this process. It is best to update the application and GPU driver to maintain compatibility. Here is how to update the GPU driver on a Windows PC.
5] Uninstalling and Reinstalling MSI Afterburner:
If all the above options fail to rectify the issue, uninstallation and subsequent reinstallation of MSI Afterburner can also be worth trying.
- Go to Settings > Apps > Installed Apps.
- Type MSI in the search box, and the MSI Afterburner app listing will be available.
- Click on the three-dot menu and choose to uninstall.
- You may need to reboot your PC post-uninstallation.
- Once back into your account, download the software from the official website, install and check if the issue persists.
The above steps comprehensively cover all the troubleshooting options applicable to the error. I hope these resolve the Afterburner Failed to start scanning issue on your Windows PC.
How long does the MSI Afterburner OC scanner take?
The OC Scanner will initiate tests to determine the optimal overclock for your GPU’s stability. This process may take approximately 10 to 20 minutes to complete. After the scan concludes, it is highly recommended that you verify the new settings by clicking “Test” to ensure your system’s stability.
Is MSI Afterburner for every GPU?
MSI Afterburner is a free software that supports graphics cards from all brands. However, you must ensure that the Driver software enables a feature that allows the MSI Afterburner software to communicate with the GPU drivers to complete the test.