Uninstalling apps from Windows 8 involves a simple procedure. All the user has to do is go to the ‘Start Screen’ and right-click on an app. An action bar is pulled up from the bottom of the screen, allowing you to uninstall the app quite easily. While this is simple and anybody will be able to do it – can you imagine the trouble it could cause you? Any Tom, Dick or Harry can delete your favorite apps without your consent. So, It’s always better to eliminate such chances rather than minimizing them. And the ultimate solution that pops-up in my mind is to stop a user from being able to uninstall Metro Applications in Windows 8.
Prevent or Stop a user from Uninstalling Metro Applications in Windows 8
- Switch to the Desktop mode and use the following sequence of keys simultaneously – Windows + R. The action should bring up a Run box. Type gpedit.msc in it and press the ‘Enter’ key to bring up the group policy editor.
When done, navigate to the following location: ‘User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Start Menu and Taskbar’.
- Then, to the right-hand side, look for the ‘Prevent users from uninstalling applications from Start‘ setting and check its state. You will find the state as ‘Not Configured’.
- Double-click on it to bring up a new window. Under the window, select the ‘Enabled’ option.
- Now, in order to the allow updated policy to take immediate effect on your PC, press Windows+R key in combination and in the RUN box that will appear on your computer screen, type gpupdate /force.
- Please note that you need to give space before ‘/’ else, you will get the following error message “Windows cannot find ‘gpupdate/force’. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try.”
- Once done, go to the Metro Start Screen and right-click on an app. You shouldn’t find the uninstall option now.
If you are having any problems installing apps from Windows 8 store, check out our post on ‘Fix: Unable to Install Apps from Windows 8 Store’.
These links may also interest you:
- Prevent users from installing programs in Windows 7
- Password protect and restrict access to installed programs
- Configure Windows To Run Only Specified Programs.