If you cannot turn on the WiFi mobile hotspot and you see a message We can’t set up mobile hotspot, Turn on Wi-Fi on your Windows 11/10 PC; here are a few suggestions that will help you fix the problem.
Mobile Hotspot not working in Windows 11/10
We can’t set up mobile hotspot, Turn on Wi-Fi
The Internet is something which we need everywhere, if not mobile data and broadband; we need the hotspot from someone. While the mobile hotspot is a very convenient option, it sometimes shows configuration errors.
A mobile hotspot is a technology that lets you share your internet connection with other devices using the WiFi feature.
Windows 11/10 comes with the option to create Mobile Hotspot. But if you cannot turn on the WiFi mobile hotspot and you see a message We can’t set up mobile hotspot on your Windows 11/10 PC, here are a few suggestions that will help you fix the problem. There are several reasons which can lead to such errors in connecting with a mobile hotspot. But, before we start with the fixes of these errors, the very first thing recommended is to check the connection with some other device so that you know that the issue is with your hotspot settings in Windows PC or in the device you are connecting.
The second thing recommended is to check if the internet connection is working properly or not, is it your system or the connection itself is creating the problem.
Well, if these two checks are done, and you still aren’t able to get it connected, check the following fixes-
1] Run Network Adapter Troubleshooter
Windows 10 PC comes with the troubleshooters for all your issues, do check with it first and classify what exactly the error is.
- Type Troubleshoot in the Search bar (Win + S) of your PC and open the Troubleshoot settings.
- Scroll down the right pane and select ‘Network Adapter’ and click on ‘Run Troubleshooter’.
- The PC will then start checking for the possible errors and will possibly detect the issue.
2] Update the driver
If you are a regular PC user, you must know that outdated drivers often create issues in the functionality. Thus it is advised to update the Network adapter driver if you are facing issues in connecting your mobile hotspot.
To update the driver, you need to open the Device Manager.
- Type Device Manager in the search box and open it.
- Go to the Network Adapters.
- Select your Network Adapter from the list and right-click.
- Select Update driver
- This will then ask you to search in Windows Update, click on it.
- Navigate to Optional Update and check if there is a related driver update.
- If there is an update available, update it, and reboot your PC.
- Check if it resolves the issue of your mobile hotspot.
3] Change Adapter Settings
In Windows 10
- Open Mobile Hotspot settings on your PC.
- Press Win+I to open Settings and go to Network and Internet.
- Scroll down the left pane and select Mobile Hotspot.
- Go to ‘Related Settings’ from the right pane and click on Change adapter options.
- Identify your mobile hotspot adapter, right-click, and go to Properties.
- Open Sharing tab and Uncheck “Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s Internet connection”.
In Windows 11
- Open Settings, and navigate to Network & Internet > Advanced network settings
- Click on More network adaptor options to open the classic Network Connections.
- Right-click on the Wifi adaptor from the list and select properties.
- Switch to Sharing and check the option “Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s Internet connection”.
- Save the settings, and test if it’s working.
4] Check Registry settings
Type regedit in the Start menu and open Registry Editor. Right-click and select Run as administrator. Now navigate to the following registry key:
Right-click on HostedNetworkSettings in the right pane and select Delete.
How do I reset my Windows hotspot?
Go to Windows Settings > Network & Internet > Mobile hotspot. Then expand the Properties section, and click on the Edit button. Here you can change the name of the hotspot, password, and band. Once done, click on the Save button, and it will reset the old parameters.
Why is the mobile hotspot grayed out?
If you cannot toggle on the Mobile Hotspot option, it means you do not have an active internet connection or do not have a Wifi Adaptor on your PC. Check the way you are connected to the internet, and if it’s through a LAN wire, and there is no Wi-Fi, you cannot use it.
This also happens if you are in Airplane mode. To disable Airplane mode, press Win + A and click on the Airplane mode to turn it off. You should be able to use the hotspot.
These are some of the fixes for the most common errors while connecting mobile hotspots on Windows 11/10. Do let us know if you have some other fixes to add to the list.