Is Minecraft Forge not installing on your Windows 11/10 PC? Here is a full guide that will help you if you cannot open the Minecraft Forge installer or if it is not working properly.
Minecraft Forge is an open-source modding API for Minecraft Java Edition. It allows users to modify the Minecraft game and add some new cool and interesting features to it. You can simply install it on your system and then start using mods in Minecraft. But, many users have complained that they are unable to install Minecraft Forge on their systems. While the Minecraft Forge installer doesn’t open for some, many users experienced failed installation.
Now, if you are one of the affected users, this post will interest you. Here, we will discuss various working fixes that will help you eliminate the issue at hand. Just try these fixes and install Minecraft Forge successfully.
Why is Minecraft Forge not opening?
There can be different reasons for individuals that the Minecraft Forge installer is not opening or working on your PC. Here are some potential causes:
- It might be the case that you are trying to install a different version of Minecraft Forge than the version of Minecraft you have on your system. Hence, check the version of Minecraft Forge and make sure it matches with Minecraft Java Edition’s version.
- Minecraft Forge requires the latest Java to be installed correctly. If you are having outdated Java on your computer, it will cause issues in running the Minecraft Forge installer. Hence, update or reinstall Java to fix the issue.
- An outdated version of Minecraft Java Edition can also cause the same issue. Hence, you can update Minecraft and then install Minecraft Forge’s most recent version.
- Your security firewall might be the culprit. It is possible that your firewall has falsely identified Minecraft Forge as a threat and is preventing it from opening. Hence, you can try disabling your firewall temporarily and then launch the Minecraft Forge installer to fix the issue.
- A weak or unstable internet connection can also be one of the reasons that you are unable to install Minecraft Forge on your PC. Hence, if the scenario is applicable, make sure you are connected to a stable and reliable internet connection.
Now that we know the scenarios that are most likely to cause the issue at hand, let us get straight to the fixes.
Minecraft Forge installer not opening or working in Windows 11
Here are the methods you can use if the Minecraft Forge installer is not opening or working on your Windows 11/10 PC:
- Check the Minecraft Forge version you are trying to install.
- Update Minecraft Java Edition and install the latest Minecraft Forge version.
- Check your internet connection.
- Update or Reinstall Java.
- Disable your firewall.
- Use Command Prompt to run the installer.
- Reinstall Minecraft.
1] Check the Minecraft Forge version you are trying to install
Before getting into advanced fixes, check the version of Minecraft Forge that you are trying to install. The Minecraft Forge version that you are installing must be the same as the version of Minecraft: Java Edition you are currently using. Suppose you are trying to install Minecraft Forge version 1.7, then you need to make sure you have Minecraft: Java Edition version 1.7 on your PC.
To check Minecraft: Java Edition version, open the game and on the main screen, the version is mentioned on the bottom left side. When you learn the version of Minecraft: Java Edition, go to the official website of Minecraft Forge and download the exact same version. After that, try installing it on your computer and see if the problem is resolved or not.
If the problem is still the same, try the next potential fix to resolve the issue.
2] Update Minecraft Java Edition and install the latest Minecraft Forge version
The next thing you can do to fix the problem at hand is to update your Minecraft: Java Edition app. After updating it, download the latest version of Minecraft Forge and check if you are able to download it. Having an outdated version of Minecraft Java Edition and installing an older version of Forge can cause the issue at hand. Hence, updating the app should be able to fix the problem for you.
Here’s how you can do that:
- Firstly, open the Minecraft Launcher app on your PC.
- Now, click on the arrow button present on the left of the Play button.
- After that, press the Latest release from the newly appeared menu options.
- Next, let Minecraft Launcher update your game.
- Once done, download the latest version of Minecraft Forge from its official website.
- Finally, try installing Minecraft Forge and see if the problem is fixed or not.
If you still experience the same problem, go ahead and try the next potential fix to resolve it.
3] Check your internet connection
You also need to make sure that you are connected to a stable internet connection to install Minecraft Forge successfully. If your internet connection is weak or unstable, the Minecraft Forge installer won’t work properly as it requires active internet to download multiple library files needed for the installation process. Hence, test your internet connection and see if there is any internet issue.
Try testing your internet speed and check if it is good enough. For that, you can use a free online network speed testing tool or try an internet speed test app for Windows that allows you to measure your internet speed. If it is slow, you can contact your internet service provider to upgrade your internet plan and then see if the problem is fixed.
You might be dealing with some generic internet connectivity issues on your PC. In that case, you can troubleshoot all WiFi issues and then try installing Minecraft Forge. Besides that, ensure that you have updated your network drivers to their latest version.
You can also try performing a power cycle on your router. The internet problem might be caused due to a temporary issue with your router like a bad router cache. Hence, in that case, power cycling your router should fix the issue. To do that, switch off your router and unplug its power cord. Now, wait for at least 30 seconds to a minute, and then reconnect the power cord of your router. After that, turn on the router and then connect your PC to the internet. See if the Minecraft Forge installer is working fine now or not.
If there is no internet connectivity issue and still you are unable to install Minecraft Forge, you can move on to the next potential fix to resolve the issue.
4] Update or Reinstall Java
Having an outdated version of Java software can be a reason that the Minecraft Forge installer is not opening or working on your PC. You need to have the latest version of Java for Minecraft to function properly as Minecraft uses Java. And, you are likely to experience issues with Minecraft Forge installation due to outdated Jave. Hence, update Java to its latest version and then try running the Minecraft Forge installer.
To update Java on Windows, try the below steps:
- Firstly, press the taskbar search button and then type Java in the search box.
- From the appeared search results, click on the Configure Java option.
- Now, in the opened Java Control Panel window, move to the Update tab.
- After that, click on the Update Now button present on the bottom-right side of the window.
- On the next prompt, click on the Update button and let the update complete.
- Once done, reboot your PC and then check if the Minecraft Forge installer is working fine or not.
If updating Java doesn’t work, try reinstalling a fresh copy of the latest Java on your system. It might be the case that you are dealing with a corrupted installation of Java which is causing the issue at hand. Hence, uninstalling Java completely from your PC and then reinstalling its clean copy should fix the problem.
To uninstall Java completely from your PC, open Settings using Win+I and then navigate to the Apps > Installed apps section. After that, look for the Java application and tap on the three-dot menu button associated with it. Next, click on the Uninstall option to remove Java. Once Java is uninstalled, visit its official website and download the latest version of Java. And then, install it like any regular third-party application. You can now try running the Minecraft Forge installer and see if it works properly or not.
If you still get the same problem, move on to the next potential solution.
5] Disable your firewall
The next thing you can do is temporarily disable your firewall to fix the issue at hand. There are chances that your firewall has falsely detected Minecraft Forge as a malicious program and is blocking it from opening or launching. This is because Minecraft Forge is a modding platform for Minecraft and it will make modifications to the Minecraft game’s system files. So, if the scenario is applicable, you can turn off your firewall and then see if the problem is resolved.
6] Use Command Prompt to run the installer
You can also try using Command Prompt to install Minecraft Forge on your PC. Command Prompt might run the installer for you that you otherwise can’t as it is used for advanced administrative tasks. So, simply run a command and see if you are able to install Minecraft Forge or not. Here’s how you can do that:
Firstly, open the Command Prompt as an administrator. Now, in the CMD window, navigate to the Downloads folder or the folder where you have downloaded the Minecraft Forge installer. You can use the below command to do so:
After that, type the below command to run the Minecraft Forge installer:
java -Xnx2G -jar forge-installer.JAR?
In the above command, forge-installer.JAR is the filename of the downloaded Minecraft Forge installer file. Now, press the Enter button and it will launch the Minecraft Forge installer. You can follow the prompted instructions to complete the installation.
In case the installation fails even via Command Prompt, we have one more fix that you can use to resolve the issue at hand.
7] Reinstall Minecraft
If everything else failed to fix the problem for you, the last resort is to reinstall the Minecraft game. This fix has worked for some affected users and might do the trick for you. The problem might occur due to corrupted game installation or infected game files. So, uninstalling the game and then reinstalling it should help you resolve the issue.
While uninstalling Minecraft, make sure you remove all the leftover residual files to remove it completely. It is recommended to use a third-party uninstaller program to do so. Once done, you can download the most recent version of Minecraft from its official website and install the game on your computer. Hopefully, you will now be able to open the Minecraft Forge installer and install it successfully.
Why does Forge fail to install?
Forge might fail to install on your PC because of outdated Java. It requires the latest JDK to be installed correctly. Also, using an outdated version of Minecraft Java Edition or installing a different version of Minecraft Forge than Minecraft’s version can also cause the same problem. Apart from that, weak or unstable internet connection, firewall interference, and corrupted game installation are some other potential causes of this issue.
How do I launch Forge installer?
First of all, download the Minecraft Forge installer from its official website. After that, double-click on the downloaded JAR file and then proceed with the prompted instructions to successfully install it on your system.