This post covers different workarounds you can try if Microsoft Teams keep popping up on the screen on Windows 11/10. Microsoft Teams is one of the most popular communication utilities available for almost all platforms. In fact, it is considered one of the best working collaboration programs. But being best doesn’t mean that the program is free from problems. Many users have reported that Microsoft Teams keep popping up on their Windows PC on its own. So, if you are also struggling with the same problem, continue with this troubleshooting guide to get rid of the issue.
Microsoft Team keeps popping up in Windows 11/10
You can try different workarounds if Microsoft Teams keep popping up on the screen automatically.
- Turn off Microsoft Teams autostart
- Change this Microsoft Teams settings
- Clear Microsoft Teams cache data
- Update Microsoft Teams
Now, let’s take a look at all the solutions in detail.
1] Turn off Microsoft Teams autostart
Microsoft Teams will keep popping on if you have enabled its autostart feature. Thankfully, you can disable it to fix the problem. Here are the steps you need to follow.
- Open the Microsoft Teams app on your system.
- Click on your Profile picture present at the top right corner, and from the context menu, choose the Settings option.
- Click on the General tab present at the left panel of the screen.
- Uncheck the Auto-start application option.
Alternatively, you can disable the autostart of Microsoft Teams by the Windows settings menu, as well as the Task Manager. You can use the Windows registry to disable the app from auto startup.
Related: How to disable, uninstall or remove Teams from Startup in Windows 11.
2] Change this Microsoft Teams settings
Microsoft Teams comes with a feature, if enabled, will keep the program running even if you close it manually. This feature can be the main reason why the program keeps popping up on the screen automatically. To get rid of the problem, you will have to change the Microsoft Teams settings, and here is how it’s done.
- Launch Microsoft teams and navigate to the Settings menu.
- Under the General tab, uncheck the On close, keep the application running option.
That’s it. Now restart your system and check if the problem is fixed or not. If not, try the next solution.
See: Fix Microsoft Teams Join button is missing or not working
3] Clear Microsoft Teams cache data
Like any other application, Microsoft Teams stores cache data to offer a faster and smoother user experience. But due to some reason, if these data get corrupted, the program will throw different errors, including the mentioned problem. In this situation, you will have to clear the Microsoft Teams cache data. Follow the below steps to find out how it’s done.
- To begin with, close Microsoft Teams entirely from your system. Make sure that none of the related services are running in the background in the Task Manager.
- Now, press the Windows + R shortcut key to open the Run dialogue box.
- Copy-paste the below-mentioned command and press enter.
- Open the Cache folder.
- Select everything inside, right click and choose the Delete icon.
Now, restart your system and check if the problem persists.
4] Run SFC scan
Running the SFC scan can be another effective solution in the situation. To do so, follow the below steps.
- Open Command Prompt in administrator mode.
- Type the below-mentioned command and press enter
Now, until the process is complete. Once done, check if the problem is fixed or not. If not, try the solution.
See: Fix Microsoft Teams Error 80090016
5] Update Microsoft Teams
If you haven’t updated the Microsoft Teams app for a long time, you will most likely face different problems, including the mentioned issue. Thus, download the latest Microsoft Teams update to fix the problem. Here are the steps you need to follow.
- Open Microsoft Teams on the system.
- Click on the profile icon present at the top right corner, and from the context menu, choose to Check for updates.
- Now, Microsoft Teams will look for any available update.
- If found, it will begin the downloading process in the background.
Once you have updated the application, don’t forget to disable the Autostart, and On close, keep the application running options by following the above steps. Check if the problem is fixed or not.
5] Reinstall Microsoft Teams
If none of the above solutions helped you solve the problem, the last thing you can try is to re-install Microsoft Teams. As it turns out, there can be used installation problem which is causing the mentioned issue. Thus, reinstall the app to fix the problem.
Read: How to blur the background in Microsoft Teams meeting
Why do Microsoft Teams keep popping up on my computer?
They can be multiple reasons why Microsoft Teams is starting automatically or popping up on the computer. But among all, the primary reason can be that you have allowed the program to run in the background or to start automatically on every system boot. In either case, you will face the mentioned issue. Thankfully, it’s very easy to troubleshoot the problem.
How do I stop Microsoft Teams from opening automatically in Windows 11?
You can stop Microsoft Teams from opening automatically on startup using Registry Editor, Teams settings, Windows Settings or TaskManager.
Read Next: Video sharing is disabled by the administrator in Microsoft Teams.