There could be times when your keyboard might be making a clicking noise but not typing in Windows 11 or Windows 10. If that is happening with your right now, you could follow this article to get rid of the issue. It is pretty common when you use the Accessibility features on Windows 11/10 PC.
At times, you might not be able to type anything in any text input fields or any other programs. There are two primary situations.
- If your keyboard is not making any sound, and it is a wireless keyboard, check if you have the battery or not.
- If your keyboard is making a clicking noise or beeping sound, but it is not typing a single letter/digit, you need to follow the following solutions.
Keyboard making clicking noise and not typing in PC
If the keyboard is making a clicking noise and not typing in Windows 11/10 PC, follow these steps:
- Disable Sticky and Filter keys
- Make the keyboard easier to use
- Run Keyboard Troubleshooter
- Reinstall keyboard driver
To learn more about these steps, continue reading.
1] Disable Sticky and Filter keys
There are two settings in the Windows Settings panel called Sticky keys and Filter keys. These settings might be responsible for this problem with your computer. Therefore, it is better to disable these settings and check if the problem resolves or not. To disable Sticky keys and Filter keys in Windows 11, follow these steps:
- Press Win+Ito open the Windows Settings.
- Switch to the Accessibility tab.
- Click on the Keyboard menu on the right side.
- Toggle the Sticky keys and Filter keys button to turn them off.
After that, check if you can type using your keyboard or not.
2] Make keyboard easier to use
Like in Windows Settings, Control Panel comes with similar options to allow you to turn on or off Sticky keys and Filter keys. You might encounter the aforementioned issue if you enabled these options earlier via Control Panel and did not take orders from the Windows Settings panel. For your information, there are more other settings such as Mouse Keys, Toggle Keys, etc. You need to disable them all. To get started, open the Control Panel and click on the Ease of Access Center option. Then, click on the Make the keyboard easier to use option.
Following that, remove the tick from all the following checkboxes:
- Turn on Mouse Keys
- Turn on Sticky Keys
- Turn on Toggle Keys
- Turn on Filter Keys
- Underline keyboard shortcuts and access keys
- Prevent window from being automatically arranged when moved to the end of the screen
At last, click the OK button to save the change. After that, check if you can type with your keyboard or not.
3] Run Keyboard Troubleshooter
There is an in-built Keyboard Troubleshooter that helps you fix common keyboard-related issues like this one. To run the Keyboard Troubleshooter, follow these steps:
- Press Win+I to open the Windows Settings panel.
- Go to System > Troubleshoot.
- Click on the Other troubleshooters menu.
- Find the Keyboard Troubleshooter.
- Click the Run button.
- Follow the screen instructions.
Then, you might be able to use your keyboard as usual.
4] Reinstall keyboard driver
In general, the keyboard and mouse do not come with a driver. You need to just plug those devices into your computer to start using them. However, if your keyboard has multiple advanced functions, you might need to install a driver to get them working. In that case, make sure that you have installed the driver provided to you.
Why is my keyboard not typing but clicking?
There could be various reasons why your keyboard is not typing but making a clicking noise. However, the most common cause is the Sticky keys and Filter keys settings. In order to fix the problem, you need to disable those settings using Control Panel and Windows Settings.
Why is my keyboard beeping and not typing?
Numerous things could cause such issues on your Windows 11/10 computer. From a faulty driver to a corrupted internal file – anything could cause the problem. However, you can try the solutions above to get rid of this problem that relates to malfunctioning of the keyboard, driver issues, and layout issues, and also check by restarting the PC once.
That’s all! I hope this guide helped.
Read: Keyboard making beeping noise when typing on Windows computer.