In this article, we will show you how to reverse animated GIF images on a Windows 11/10 computer. While there is no such feature or built-in tool available in Windows 11/10 OS for this, you can use some free GIF reverser tools that let you save an animated GIF in reverse order or sequence so that it will always play in the backward direction. Once you have the output GIF, you can play it in any modern browser or use any image viewer tools that let you play an animated GIF.
These tools don’t put any type of watermark on the output or adjust the size (height and width) of the output GIF image. You get the output as it is with only one difference i.e., reversed GIF. The output file size may come larger than the original but that should not be a problem.
How to Reverse Animated GIF image in Windows 11/10
To reverse an animated GIF on a Windows 11/10, we have covered 2 free GIF reverser software and 3 online GIF reverser tools in this list. Here are the tools:
- Photo Viewer
- GIF Reverse
Let’s see how these GIF reverser tools can be helpful.
ScreenToGif is a multipurpose software and one of my favorite GIF reverser tools on this list. This open-source tool lets you record the desktop screen as an animated GIF or select an area on the desktop for the recording, annotate the recording before saving, record the webcam, and more.
When using this tool for reversing the animated GIF, you will have so many options to use. For example, you can reduce frame count, increase or decrease the delay of frames, delete selected frames or duplicate frames, add an image watermark to GIF, etc. The option to make animation go forward and backward (yo-yo) is also there.
You will also be able to play the output GIF before you can save it to your system which is a very useful option. Now let’s check the steps to use this tool to reverse an animated GIF:
- Download the portable version or installer version of this tool
- Open the interface of this tool
- Click on the Editor button available on the main panel to open its GIF Editor
- Access the File menu or tab in the Editor window
- Click on the Load icon present in the File menu. Now you can select and add an animated GIF from your computer and all its frames are visible on the bottom part of the Editor interface. You will also have playback options there
- Switch to the Edit tab
- Click on the Reverse option available in the Reordering section and all the frames will be reversed quickly
- Use other options like delete frames, Yo-yo option, Reduce Frame Count, etc., or leave them as it is
- Go back to the File menu
- Press the Save as button
- A sidebar will open on the right section. There, you can use other options like enable transparency for GIF, loop GIF, adjust sampling using the given slider, etc. You can use all such options or keep them to the default setting
- Select an output folder
- Set a name for the output GIF image
- Press the Save button to store the reversed GIF.
You can also make the changes even after saving the output image which is helpful when you don’t find the GIF as good as expected. You can do further changes wherever necessary and save the GIF image.
2] Photo Viewer
Photo Viewer is another open-source software that lets you view WebP, PNG, TIFF, JPG, and animated GIF images. For the input image/GIF, you will have different options to use. For example, you can set brightness and contrast, adjust hue, saturation, and lightness, flip the image or animated GIF to horizontal or vertical view mode, resize the image, use pixelate option, etc.
For using all such options, you need to hover the mouse cursor to the left or right section of this tool, and then the available options will be visible to you. The output can be saved separately after using all these options. Do note that you need to wait for a little after selecting and using an option because sometimes the tool interface hangs and then you might have to force close it.
Now, let’s see how to use this tool to reverse animated GIF and save it. Here are the steps:
- Grab this tool from github.com. You need to access the Releases section to download its set-up file
- After installation, launch the tool and use the Add icon present on the top-right section of its interface to add the animated GIF
- Click on the GIF icon present next to the Dark mode icon. This will open a pop-up
- In that pop-up, tickmark the Reverse option. You can also use other options like speed, transparency, and transparency color
- Press the OK button to close the pop-up. The GIF will start playing backward on its interface
- Use right-click menu and select the Save Image option or click on the Save icon
- When the Save as window is opened, set Save as type (or output) to GIF, give a file name to output GIF, and save it.
Ezgif is an online GIF maker and editor website that has dozens of tools for various purposes. For example, it has tools to crop a GIF, reverse a video, create animated PNG images, add effects to GIF images, create animated WebP images, resize animated GIFs, compress GIF images, etc. A Reverse GIF tool is also there with some interesting options.
This Reverse GIF tool lets you upload a GIF image up to 50 MB in size. You will have the options to:
- To set loop count (add 0 for infinity) or number of times to play the GIF
- Add forward and backward effects to GIF to play it to the end and then reverse back to start
- Flip animated GIF vertically or horizontally
- Preview both the input and output GIF images.
You can open this tool from ezgif.com. There, press the Choose File button and add the GIF image from your computer or add GIF URL if you want to reverse an online GIF. Use the Upload! button. After uploading, it will play the input GIF, and options for output GIF will be visible to you. Select the reverse option there and other options if needed.
Press the Submit button. Preview the output and use the save button to download the GIF.
4] GIF Reverse
GIF Reverse is a simpler online tool on this list that has only two, but useful features. There is one main feature that lets you reverse the input GIF and another feature called boomerang to play the animated GIF backward and then forward. The good thing is both the features can be used together. You can also preview the input GIF and the reversed GIF.
For using this tool, access gifreverse.com. There, use the Select image button for adding the GIF image. The input GIF image is played by this tool automatically. Now, select the boomerang option if you want the output GIF to play backward and then forward in a loop.
Finally, press the Reverse it! button and wait for the output. The output will start playing on its interface. Now you can use the download link or right-click menu to save the reversed GIF.
GIFGIFs service brings multiple GIF-related tools that include GIF optimizer, GIF resizer, Rotate GIF, PNG optimizer, Add text to GIF, etc. A separate Reverse animated GIF tool is also there that you can use to reverse an online GIF or GIF image stored on your computer.
This tool lets you preview the original GIF and reverse GIF within the same page so that you can easily see the difference. The options to flip the input GIF horizontally and vertically are also there that you can use with the reverse option.
You can access this tool from gifgifs.com. There, press the UPLOAD GIF button to add a GIF image from your system or use the PASTE IMAGE URL option if you want to add an online GIF. After uploading the animated GIF, it will play it automatically.
Now tick mark the REVERSE option. You can also use flip horizontally and vertically options or just leave them. Press the REVERSE button. When the result is generated, you can preview it just below the original GIF. Finally, click on the Download the result link to download the output.
That’s all! Hope these will be helpful.
Can you reverse a GIF animation?
Yes, you can easily reverse a GIF animation on a Windows 11/10 OS. You can use an online GIF reverser tool or a freeware that lets you make GIF play in backward or reverse order and then save the final output with the reverse effect. We have added a list of all such tools in this post. Some of these tools also come with the option to reverse GIF and then play it again forward in an endless loop.
How do you make a reverse GIF?
To make a reverse GIF on a Windows 11/10 computer, you can use a GIF image editor tool that comes with such a feature. Or else, you can use a tool that is especially available for this task along with optional features. All such dedicated tools are covered by us in this post that you can try. For each GIF reverser tool, a step-by-step explanation is also added to help you easily reverse an animated GIF and then save the reversed GIF.