VLC media player is one of the best audio players for a PC. It supports different audio outputs, including 5.1 sound. However, some users are grappling with how to play 5.1 audio in VLC on PC. In this article, we will look at the best way you can enable 5.1 audio on your Windows PC. The latest version of the VLC media player supports 5.1 sound quality, but your devices must also be compatible with this sound quality. You also need to have the right hardware and drivers to enable 5.1 audio.
5.1 audio greatly enhances audio output quality, reaches high levels before distortions, and reduces noise by a significant magnitude. It enriches sound reproductions’ depth and fidelity through its ability to use multiple sound channels. Some users have reported some frustrations about how they have struggled to get to the 5.1 audio settings on VLC media players. The good part is that you can set 5.1 audio as the default sound in the VLC media player.
How to play 5.1 audio in VLC on PC
To play 5.1 audio in VLC on your Windows PC, you need to follow straightforward steps, but before that, ensure the following:
- Your PC has the right sound card compatible with 5.1 audio output.
- Your connected audio peripherals support 5.1 sound quality.
- You have the latest audio drivers. If not, update your drivers before heading to the next steps.
If all the factors listed above are checked and all are set, you can now go ahead and set up 5.1 audio on your Windows PC. To play 5.1 audio in VLC on PC, follow the steps below.
- Open the VLC media player by typing VLC in the Windows search box and pressing Enter on the computer keyboard.
- While on the VLC windows, press Ctrl + P to open the preferences.
- On the bottom left, you will see two options; Simple and All. Select All to continue.
- A new scroll-down list will show up. Locate the Audio option.
- Scroll down and navigate to Output modules. Double-click to expand it.
- In the new list of items, select the first option named DirectX.
- Select the Output device you want and then below that, click on the down-down menu and choose 5.1.
- To complete the process, click Save, restart your VLC media player, and play your audio to listen if the changes have been applied.
If you use MMDevice, go up to Output modules as we did above and select MMDevice. There is a drop-down menu next to the Output backend. Select DirectX audio output from the list. Finally, click Save and restart your VLC media player.
You can also play 5.1 on your Windows PC if the VLC media player has issues. Let us see how you can enable this audio quality.
How do I enable 5.1 speakers on my Windows PC?
To enable and play 5.1 speakers on your Windows PC, go to the taskbar tray area, click on the speaker’s icon, and select Sounds. Next, go to Playback and select the audio playback device. Go to Set Default > Configure. On the new Speaker Setup window, click 5.1 surround and select Next. Check the boxes next to all Optional speakers entries and click Next to continue. Check the boxes next to Full-range speakers and select Next. Finally, click Finish to apply the changes you made. The configuration is now complete, and you can play your 5.1 audio on your Windows PC.
Can VLC output 5.1 audio?
VLC media player can output 5.1 audio quality. However, these depend on other factors, like your device and any other connected audio speakers. Your computer should have the required sound card and updated audio drivers. If you have connected any external speakers, you need to ensure that they too support 5.1 audio quality.
Why does 5.1 audio not work?
5.1 audio may not work if your device doesn’t support 5.1 audio quality, the audio drivers are outdated, or the connected audio speakers are not compatible with the 5.1 audio output. So ensure you have the latest hardware, which includes the sound card and its compatible drivers. If you have all that in place, you need to check your audio preferences on your VLC media player or your PC.