Windows 11 has a new taskbar that is much different than the one found on Windows 10 and other older versions of the operating system. One can argue that the changes to the taskbar in Windows 11 are the most significant change since Windows XP.
The taskbar here looks similar to what you might find on a Mac because it is centralized by default. We must admit that white this version of the taskbar is quite the looker; it manages to lose some functionality, which is unfortunate.
Some of the features the Windows 11 taskbar has lost
Windows 11 Taskbar has lost many features. It’s not possible to move the taskbar to the side or above, which means it is permanently affixed to the bottom of your computer screen. Additionally, the search button is no longer located there. You must first click on the Start button to get to it. We suspect that as times go by, Microsoft will bring back some of the old features in order to make the taskbar more useful than it is right now.
How to customize the Windows 11 taskbar
OK, so customizing the taskbar on Windows 11 is easier than you might think. The following information should turn you into an expert, so keep reading.
- How to pin an app to the Windows 11 taskbar
- Remove pinned apps and icons from the Windows 11 taskbar
- Move the taskbar icons to the left
- Show or Hide Taskbar corner icons in Windows 11
1] How to pin an app to the Windows 11 taskbar
Yes, it’s still possible to pin apps to the taskbar, and there are several ways to do it. As you might expect, we are going to discuss how to get this done in the easiest ways possible, so let’s get to it, then.
Pin a running app:
When an app is opened, the icon will appear on the taskbar with a line underneath that indicates this app is active. For those who want to pin the app, simply right-click on the icon, then select Pin to taskbar, and that’s it.
Pin an app that is not running:
In a situation where the app is not running, but the icon is located on the Desktop, all you have to do is right-click on the icon then select Show more options. From the context menu, click on Pin to taskbar to have it appear on the new Windows 11 taskbar.
Pin apps from the Start Menu:
- Now, in terms of apps located in the Start Menu, please press the Windows key on your keyboard or click the Start button on the taskbar.
- From there, select All Apps, then find the app you want to pin.
- Finally, right-click on the app and select More > Pin to taskbar.
2] Remove pinned apps and icons from the Windows 11 taskbar
After adding several apps, you may need to keep the numbers down by deleting apps from the taskbar. This is a simple task, so let us discuss how to get it done effectively.
Unpin apps via the taskbar:
- To do this, you must right-click on the icon
- Then select Unpin from taskbar.
- Right away, the icon should disappear until you want it back there again.
Unpin apps via the taskbar Settings area:
- Another way you can remove apps is to find your way to the taskbar settings.
- Do this by pressing the Windows key + I to fire up the Settings menu
- Or click on the Start Menu button, then select Settings from pinned apps section.
- After that, go to Personalization > Taskbar
- Then use the toggle button to disable apps and icons from the Windows 11 taskbar.
3] Move the taskbar icons to the left from the center
Most of us are used to the taskbar where the icons are located to the left, where the Start Menu button is situated to the far bottom corner. You can return to such a design if you so wish, and we suspect quite a few Windows 11 users will make the switch right out of the gate.
- Do this by right-clicking on the taskbar, then select Taskbar Settings.
- A new window will appear instantly with several options to choose from.
- Please scroll down to Taskbar Behavior, then change it from Center to Left.
Additionally, you should see the option to automatically hide the taskbar, show badges on apps, and the ability to hide the far corner button to the right that is designed to show the Desktop.
4] How to Show or Hide Taskbar corner icons in Windows 11?
Taskbar corner icons are those system icons that appear in the notification are on the tight side of the taskbar.
- From the Taskbar Settings area
- Navigate to Taskbar corner icons to add or remove Pen Menu, Touch Keyboard, or Virtual Touchpad.
Now read: How to customize the Windows 11 Start Menu.