Looking for a way to convert MP4 to HEVC on Windows 11/10? Here is a full guide on how you can convert your MP4 videos to HEVC format. HEVC, which stands for High-Efficiency Video Coding, is a video compression standard that is a successor to Advanced Video Coding (AVC, H.264, or MPEG-4 Part 10). It is also known as H.265 and is getting popular because of better data compression without compromising on the video quality. Now, if you want to convert an MP4 video to HEVC format, you can check out this post. In this post, we have shared two different ways to convert MP4 to HEVC/ H.265. So, let us check out the methods.
How to convert MP4 to HEVC in Windows 11/10
Here are the methods using which you can convert an MP4 video to HEVC on your Windows 11/10 PC:
- Use free MP4 to HEVC converter software to convert MP4 to HEVC offline.
- Convert MP4 to HEVC online using a free online tool.
1] Use free MP4 to HEVC converter software to convert MP4 to HEVC offline
You can use a free desktop application to convert an MP4 video to HEVC format on Windows PC. There are multiple free software that let you do so. To help you choose a good one, here are some better free MP4 to HEVC converter software:
HandBrake is a free and open-source video converter and transcoder software for Windows 11/10. Using it, you can also convert MP4 videos to HEVC (H.265) format. It supports 10-bit and 12-bit HEVC format as output. Not one, you can convert multiple MP4 videos to HEVC format at once as it supports batch video conversion.
Apart from HEVC, it lets you convert videos to a lot more other video formats like H.264, MPEG-4, MPEG-2, Theora, H.265, VP8, VP9, etc. You can even customize a lot of video encoder configurations before conversion, such as framerate, encoder preset, encoder tune, encoder profile, encoder level, video quality, etc. Additionally, you can also modify audio parameters e.g., audio codec, bitrate, audio channel, etc.
This software also provides you with some nice and useful video editing options like cropping a video, flipping or rotating a video, changing video resolution, adding a border, etc. Now, let us check out the steps to convert MP4 to HEVC.
How to convert MP4 videos to HEVC using HandBrake
Here are the steps to convert MP4 videos to HEVC using HandBrake:
- Firstly, you need to download HandBrake from its official website and install it on your PC.
- Now, start the software and then press the Open Source button to import one or more input MP4 video files.
- Next, move to the Video tab, open the Video Codec drop-down menu, and select H.265, H.265 10-bit, or H.265 12-bit.
- If needed, you can configure parameters like audio codec, subtitles, create chapter markers, etc.
- Lastly, press the Add to Queue button and then click on the Start Encode button to start MP4 to HEVC conversion process.
It is a feature-rich yet easy-to-use MP4 to HEVC converter that you can use for free.
VidCoder can also be used to convert MP4 to HEVC format. You can convert MP4 to three versions of the HEVC codec including H.265, H.265 10-bit, and H.265 12-bit. Besides MP4, it also lets you convert videos like AVI, MKV, FLV, MOV, and more to HEVC. Let us check out the steps of conversion now.
How to convert MP4 video to HEVC using VidCoder?
Follow the below simple steps to convert MP4 videos to HEVC using VidCoder:
- Firstly, download and install it, or use its portable version.
- Now, launch the application and add a video file.
- Next, click on the Encoding Settings button present on the top toolbar.
- After that, in the newly opened window, go to the Video Encoding tab.
- Then, select one of the available HEVC codecs from the Video Codec drop-down options.
- If required, you can also customize video framerate, Video/Audio Bitrate, Quality, Resolution, Sample Rate, Audio Gain, etc.
- Now, save, the preset by clicking on the Save as button and then press the Encode button to start the conversion process.
It also provides various video filters including denoise, chroma smoothing, sharpen, etc. You can also find rotate, crop, and resize features to apply some basic video editing.
Overall, it is a great free converter using which you can convert videos including MP4 to HEVC.
MediaCoder is a video transcoder software for Windows 11/10. It also lets you convert MP4 to HEVC (H.265) format without any hassle.
Here are the steps to convert MP4 to H.265/ HEVC format using MediaCoder:
- First, download and install MediaCoder on your system. It also offers a portable version that needs no installation.
- Now, start the MediaCoder application and import one or more input MP4 videos using the Add button.
- After that, navigate to the Video tab and select the format as H.265.
- Then, you can also customize some other video configurations by going to different tabs.
- Finally, tap on the Start button to start the conversion.
You can get it from mediacoderhq.com.
2] Convert MP4 to HEVC online using a free online tool
If you prefer using online tools, you can also convert MP4 to HEVC online in a web browser. There are some free websites that let you perform the conversion. Here is a list of some good free online MP4 to HEVC converter tools:
video-converter.com is a free online video converter tool that also lets you convert MP4 to HEVC. Using it, you can convert videos of a large file size (up to 4 GB). You can also convert AVI, MPEG, FLV, 3GP, WEBM, and more videos to HEVC format.
How to convert MP4 videos to H.265 or HEVC online?
Here are the main steps to convert your MP4 videos to H.265 format online using this free online tool:
- Firstly, go to its website in a web browser and open an MP4 video file. You can upload the input video from Google Drive, Dropbox, or URL.
- Now, select the mp4 format from the Video section.
- Next, from the Video Codec options, choose H.265.
- After that, set up some other parameters like resolution, audio codec, etc.
- Finally, press the Convert button to start the conversion process.
Convertio is a famous online file converter tool that also lets you convert MP4 to HEVC. It supports a wide number of input and output video formats like FLV, OGV, M4V, MKV, AVI, etc. It is a straightforward tool that does it work pretty well. You can even customize output video settings before conversion, like resize, quality, framerate, rotate, bit rate, audio channel, frequency, etc.
To use it, open the website in a web browser and upload the source MP4 file from your PC, Google Drive, or Dropbox. After that, make sure the output format is set to HEVC, and then press the Convert button. Once the conversion is done, you can download the output file to your PC.
evano is one more free online MP4 to HEVC converter tool. It lets you convert videos of various file formats including AVI, MOV, 3GP, FLV, VOB, etc. You can simply upload an MP4 video and select the output formats as HEVC. After that, click on the Settings button to quality, bitrate, frame rate, resize, etc. Finally, you can start the conversion by hitting the Convert button.
It also provides some additional tools like PDF Manager, Image Compressor, Audio Converter, Archive Manager, and more. You can try it here.
Hopefully, this post helps you find a good free MP4 to HEVC converter software or online tool.
Can you convert MP4 to HEVC?
Yes, you can easily convert MP4 to HEVC on your Windows PC. You can use a free desktop application or a free online tool that lets you perform the conversion. There are converters like HandBrake, VidCoder, evano, and Convertio that allow you to convert MP4 to HEVC.
How do you convert to HEVC?
To convert a video to HEVC, you can use the HandBrake software. it lets you input video files in formats like MKV, MP4, AVI, WMV, MOV, and more and then convert them to HEVC/H.265 (10-bit or 12-bit) format. We have shared the exact conversion steps in this post below; so checkout.
Can H265 be MP4?
Yes, you can convert H.265 videos to MP4 format. To do so, you can try a converter that supports the conversion of HEVC videos to MP4 format. You can try this free software called Video Converter & Transcoder. There are some more video converter software that lets you convert HEVC to MP4 like FFmpeg Batch AV Converter and Any Video Converter.