This post talks about how to convert CSV to GPX or KML format on your Windows 11/10 PC. GPX stands for GPS eXchange Format, while KML is an acronym for Google Earth’s Keyhole Markup Language format. Both these file formats are standard GPS file formats that are used to store and exchange GPS data including waypoints, routes, tracks, etc. Now, if you have saved coordinates and waypoints in a CSV file and want to convert it to GPX or KML format, this guide is for you.
Here, we are going to discuss two different ways to convert CSV to GPX or KML file format. Let us get straight to the solutions now!
How do I convert a CSV file to GPX?
To convert a CSV file to GPX, you can use third-party software like GpsPrune, RouteConverter, ITN Converter, and more. On the other side, you can also use a free online service that supports CSV to GPX conversion. We have shared some free tools that let you do so. You can check them out below.
How do you create a GPX file?
If you want to create a GPX file, the best option is to use free desktop software. There are some software called GPX Editor, Garmin BaseCamp, GPXSee, and more that lets you do so.
How to convert CSV to GPX or KML in Windows 11/10
Here are the different methods to convert CSV to GPX or KML on your Windows 11/10 PC:
- Use free CSV to GPX or KML converter software to convert a CSV file to GPX or KML.
- Convert CSV to GPX or KML online using a free web service.
Let us discuss the above methods in detail now!
1] Use free CSV to GPX or KML converter software
To perform a hassle-free CSV to GPX or KML conversion in Windows 11/10, you can use a dedicated third-party desktop application. There are various GPS software available on the internet that you can use for the same. However, if you are looking for a free one, you can refer to this guide. Here, I am going to list some free software that you can use to convert CSV to GPX or KML. These are the free software:
- ITN Converter
Let us discuss these freeware in detail now!
1] ITN Converter
ITN Converter is basically a free route converter software that lets you convert CSV to GPX or KML or KMZ. It lets you convert a CSV file to different versions of a GPX file including GPX Garmin MapSource, GPS eXchange, and Garmin Nüvi. Apart from these formats, it also supports some more output formats to save the output, like RTE, TOUR, WPT, TXT, XML, etc.
How to convert CSV to GPX or KML using ITN Converter?
Here are the main steps to convert a CSV file to GPX or KML formats using this free software:
- Firstly, download and install this software. Or, you can even download its portable version and run this portable application without installation.
- Now, click on the Open button and browse and import the source CSV file.
- Next, you can edit the longitude and latitude information as per your requirement.
- After that, select output format to GPX or KML.
- Finally, press the Export button to start the GPS file conversion.
It provides some good tools to edit the CSV file before conversion. For example, you can use features like Get Directions, Show entire itinerary, use a global map to add or edit waypoints, etc.
All in all, it is an easy and quick CSV to GPX or KML converter software that you can use for free on Windows 11/10.
Read: How to edit KML Files?
You can also try GpsPrune to convert CSV to GPX or KML on Windows 11/10. It is free and portable software that is used to view, modify, or convert GPS data. It supports some other formats like KMZ, TXT, POV, SVG, and more as input and output. You can open a CSV file in it, view and edit waypoints, make other route modifications, and then export it to a GPX file.
Here are the steps that you can follow to convert CSV to GPX in GpsPrune:
- Firstly, download this free software from here.
- Now, launch the application without installation.
- Next, click on the File > Open file option to import a CSV file to it.
- After that, you can view and if needed, edit the waypoint and route as per your requirement.
- Finally, go to the File menu and select Export GPX or Export KML option to convert the input CSV file.
That’s all you need to do to perform CSV to GPX or KML conversion.
This handy software can also be used for finding image location, compressing tracks, getting altitude information from SRTM, etc.
See: How to view and convert a FIT file?
GPSBabel is a dedicated utility to convert route data from one file format to another. It supports the conversion of CSV files to GPX or KML format. Besides these two formats, it can convert a lot more input and output file formats including KMZ, TXT, TCX, WPT, TRK, XML, LOG, RTE, and more. It also lets you customize some output options before conversion such as name, description, encoding, etc. Let us find out how to use this software.
You can follow below simple steps to convert CSV to GPX or KML using this free software:
- Firstly, download this software from its official website and then install it on your PC.
- Now, start the application.
- Next, in the Input section, click on the Filename and browse and select the input CSV file.
- After that, select Translation Options and set the desire output format from GPX and KML.
- Then, set up some output options and select the output file.
- Finally, press the OK b button to start CSV to GPX or KML conversion.
It is a straightforward software entirely dedicated to the conversion of GPS files. You can’t edit the GPS data in it before conversion.
Read: Turn on GPS Power Saver in Microsoft Band 2
As the name suggests, RouteConverter is a dedicated GPS file converter that lets you convert CSV to GPX or KML format. Like other freeware, it is also very simple to use. You can just import your input CSV file and then export it to GPX or KML format. It also lets you convert CSV to TRK, RTE, LOG, ASC, and more GPS data files.
Follow the below simple steps to convert a CSV route file to GPX to KML format:
- Firstly, download RouteConverter and then run this portable application.
- Now, simply open a CSV file in it; it will display waypoint and route information on map as well as in a dedicated section on the right-hand side.
- Next, if needed, you can edit the waypoints and add new ones.
- After that, go to the File menu and click on the Save as option.
- Finally, select GPX or KML format as output, provide output filename, and then press the Save button.
It is a nice and portable CSV to GPX or KML converter. You can download it from routeconverter.com.
2] Convert CSV to GPX or KML online using a free web service
If you want to perform CSV to GPX or KML conversion online, you can use a free web service. Here are some free online tools that you can use for conversion for free:
- Free KML Tools
- POI Editor
AnyConv is a universal file converter that also lets you convert CSV to both GPX and KML formats. Using it, you can convert several file types including audio, video, images, eBooks, and many more. It is very easy to use. Let us discuss the steps to use this online converter.
How to convert CSV to GPX or KML online?
These are the easy steps to convert CSV to GPX or KML file online:
- First, open a web browser and go to AnyConv’s CSV to GPX converter page here.
- Now, choose the source file from your local PC or another device.
- Next, set the output format to GPX or KML. It even supports KMZ (zipped version) as output.
- After that, simply click on the Convert button to start the conversion.
- When the conversion is completed, download the resulting GPX or KML file.
Aspose is a free online service using which you can convert CSV to GPX or KML file formats. The good thing about this free service is that it supports batch conversion. Hence, you can batch convert multiple CSV files to GPX to KML formats at once. Let us discuss the conversion steps now.
How to batch convert CSV to GPX or KML using Aspose:
These are the basic steps to convert multiple CSV files to GPX or KML at once:
- Firstly, launch a web browser.
- Now, open the Aspose website.
- Next, drag and drop the source CSV files or simply browse and select the input files.
- After that, set the export format to GPX or KML.
- Lastly, press the Convert button.
It will convert all your source CSV files to GPX or KML file format.
3] Free KML Tools
As the name gives away, Free KML Tools is a free website that offers various KML related tools. On this website, you can also find a dedicated CSV to KML converter. Apart from this one, you can find tools to convert GPS to KML, GPX to KML, DXF to KML, KML to DXF, etc. Let us discuss how to use it.
Here are steps to convert CSV to KML online using Free KML Tools:
- Firstly, open the Free KML Tools website and make sure you are on its CSV to KML page.
- Now, select Geometry as Places or Track and enter the document name.
- Next, choose the source CVS file that you want to convert.
- After that, set the output format to KML.
- Finally, press the Generate KML File button to convert and download the resulting KML file.
convertcsv.com is another web service that you can try to convert CSV to KML format. It doesn’t support GPX as output. So, if you want to convert CSV to GPX, look for another option from this list. It lets you manually add CSV data, or import a locally saved CSV file, or upload a CSV file from a URL. You can map the input fields and then convert the file to KML format.
Simply open this website in a browser and then browse and select an input CSV file. After that, identify the field position and enter latitude and longitude fields. Finally, click on the Convert CSV to KML button and it will convert and download the resulting file.
5] POI Editor
Another option to convert CSV to GPX or KML is POI Editor. It is a free web service using which you can convert POIs and GPS files. You can find dedicated CSV to GPX and CSV to KML converter tools on this website that you can use for your conversion.
If you want to convert CSV to GPX, go to this page. Else, for CSV to KML conversion, visit this page. Then, simply choose a locally saved source CSV file that you want to convert and then press the Convert to GPX button to start conversion.
Now read: What is the best GPS location track app for parents to monitor kids?