Maintaining your Xbox Series X is important for getting the most out of your gaming experience throughout the console’s lifecycle. You might think maintaining a console takes a lot of effort, but that is far from the truth.
In the past, the length of a video game console generation was traditionally 5 years, but things have changed dramatically. These days, gamers are expected to wait 8 or more years before needing to jump to a new generation, and a console must be able to survive until then.
How to Clean and Maintain Xbox Series X hardware
To clean and maintain your Xbox Series X in good condition, follow these suggestions:
- Place the Xbox in the right location
- Clean the Xbox Series X
- Disable the Sleep Mode feature on your Xbox Series X
- Keep your Xbox Series X updated
1] Place the Xbox in the right location
Many people overlook how important it is to ensure their Xbox is placed in the right environment. For example, avoid small and confined areas since the device requires optimal ventilation. Therefore, we suggest placing the Xbox Series X in an area that is free of heat sources and open.
Furthermore, one should not add anything beside or on top of the console as doing that could block the heat from being expelled.
From our point of view, it is best to store on the floor if possible, or on a desk. But bear in mind that will not stop dust from building.
2] Clean the Xbox Series X
The best way to maintain your Xbox Series X to ensure it lasts 10 years or even more is to clean both its internal and external sections. No matter what you do, dust particles will build up on the console, which can block vents and cause it to overheat.
All you need for this task is a small, soft cloth. Use it to gently wipe the dust from the outside area of your console. From there, you can make your way inside and do the same. Ensure the device is unplugged from the power source before entering.
Please understand that pulling down your Xbox Series X and cleaning the internal components can void your warranty. However, if the console is properly taken care of, then that warranty may never come into play in the future.
Here’s what Microsoft recommends for specific devices:
- Xbox Series X, Xbox Series S, Xbox One S, Xbox One X, Xbox One: Use a soft cloth dampened with an isopropyl alcohol (IPA) solution 70% or less. Do not use disinfectant wipes.
- Xbox Wireless Controller: Use any of the disinfectant wipes listed above or a soft cloth dampened with an IPA solution 70% or less.
- Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2: Only use a soft cloth dampened with an IPA solution 70% or less, Formula 409 All-Purpose Cleaner, Windex Glass Cleaner, or Dawn (or other mild dish soap) and water. Do not use disinfectant wipes.
- Xbox Adaptive Controller: Use any of the disinfectant wipes listed above or a soft cloth dampened with an IPA solution 70% or less.
- Xbox Wireless/Stereo Headset: Use an alcohol prep pad or soft cloth dampened with an isopropyl alcohol (IPA) solution 70% or less. For any other products, use small amounts solutions on a soft cloth.
3] Disable the Sleep Mode feature on your Xbox Series X
For those who weren’t aware, the Xbox Series X has two main power options, and they are Sleep, and Shutdown (energy saving). Whenever the console is set to Sleep, it will stay on standby during this time, which means, the background processes will continue to run despite the Xbox not being powered on in its entirety.
When it comes down to the Shutdown (energy saving) option, it will completely shut down your Xbox Series X. However, it makes sure that the devices use less power when it’s off in a bid to maintain some key features.
4] Keep your Xbox Series X updated
The final thing we want to mention here is keeping your Xbox Series X updated to the latest firmware. Updates are important because they keep your system secure, get rid of bugs, and provide new features. Doing this will ensure your console is maintained beyond the physical aspect.
For those who are not sure how to manually update their Xbox, please go to Settings and choose Updates, which is located under the System tab.
How long should I keep my Xbox Series X on?
The option is there to keep your Xbox Series X on for as long as you want, but ensure it is kept in a well-ventilated space.
Is it safe to vacuum the Xbox Series X?
We do not recommend using a vacuum on your Xbox Series X or any other electronic appliance for that matter. You see, a vacuum can damage your Xbox by sending static electricity that may harm internal components.