The software on the devices we use generally gets updated through OTA updates while we are connected to the good internet. Sometimes, there comes a necessity where we are forced to update the software through offline methods. In this guide, we show you how to update the Xbox console offline using Xbox Offline System Update.
How to update Xbox console offline
How to use Xbox Offline System Update
Updating the Xbox console offline using Xbox Offline System Update is an easy process. For that you need,
- A Windows PC with a good internet connection and a USB port
- An NTFS formatted USB drive with a minimum of 6GB of space
Also, the process of updating Original Xbox One consoles is a bit different from all other Xbox consoles. We show you how to update,
- All Xbox consoles (except the original Xbox One)
- Original Xbox One console
Let’s see how we can update them.
1] Update all Xbox consoles (except the original Xbox One)
If you do not have the Original Xbox One console and have other variants, you can update it offline easily in the following steps.
- Download Offline System Update file
- Update your Console through Xbox Start-up Trouble Shooter
Download Offline System Update file
You need to download the Offline System Update file OSU1 from xbox.com onto your Windows PC. Then, plug in the USB drive that is formatted into NTFS with at least a minimum of 6GB space. Make sure your USB drive does not have any other files. Then, extract the OSU1 file on your PC which creates a .postcode file on your PC. Copy the $SystemUpdate file from the extracted .postcode file to your USB drive. Then, unplug the USB drive.
Update your Console through Xbox Start-up Troubleshooter
- The only way to update your Xbox console offline is through an Xbox-Start-up troubleshooter. To see Xbox Start-up troubleshooter,
- Turn off your Xbox console and unplug all the cables from the console. Wait for 30 seconds and replug them all.
- Then, press the Pair button (on the left side of the console) and the Eject button on the front side. Then, press the Xbox button on the console. Xbox Series S and Xbox One S All-Digital Editon do not have an Eject button. You can open Xbox Start-up Troubleshooter using the Pair and Xbox button. Hold Pair and Eject buttons for 10-15 seconds until you hear two “power-up” tones in a couple of seconds. Then, it will take you to Xbox Start-up Troubleshooter.
- Plugin the USB drive to the console. Then, select Offline system update using D-pad and A button on your controller. It will start updating the console. After the update is complete, your console will restart and take you to the console homepage.
This is how you can update Xbox consoles offline using the Xbox Offline System Update file.
2] Update original Xbox One console
If you have the Original Xbox One console and need to update it offline using Xbox Offline System Update, you can update it in two ways. If you can bring up Xbox Start-up Troubleshooter like in the previous process, you can follow the above steps. If not, follow the below method.
Before going into updates, you need to know the OS version of your console. To know the OS version,
- Press the Xbox button on the controller
- Select Profile & system
- Then, go to Settings and then System
- Now, select Console info
You will see the OS version of your console there.
Check if the OS version of your console matches any of the below:
- 6.2.11791.0 (xb_rel_1411.141114-2300) fre
- 6.2.12521.0 (xb_rel_1503.150305-1449) fre
- 6.2.12998.0 (xb_rel_1506.150601-2200) fre
- 6.2.13326.0 (xb_rel_1508.150810-2029) fre
- 6.2.13332.0 (xb_rel_1508.150903-2141) fre
- 10.0.10586.1006 (th2_xbox_rel_1510.151107-2322) fre
- 10.0.10586.1016 (th2_xbox_rel_1510.151118-2147) fre
- 10.0.10586.1024 (th2_xbox_rel_1510.151203-1909) fre
- 10.0.10586.1026 (th2_xbox_rel_1510.151217-1035) fre
- 10.0.10586.1100 (th2_xbox_rel_1602.160210-2122) fre
- 10.0.10586.1194 (th2_xbox_rel_1603.160317-1900) fre
If your console’s OS version matches any of the above ones, you need to perform one offline update, if not, you need to perform two updates.
- To update consoles with OS versions (mentioned above), download the Offline System Update file OSU1 onto your Windows PC. Then, plug in the USB drive that is formatted into NTFS with at least a minimum of 6GB space. Make sure your USB drive does not have any other files. Then, extract the OSU1 file on your PC which creates a .postcode file on your PC. Copy the $SystemUpdate file from the extracted .postcode file to your USB drive. Then, unplug the USB drive.
- Plugin the USB drive into your Xbox console. Then, turn off the console and unplug all the cables (except for the USB drive) from the console and wait for 30 seconds. Then, connect the cables back. Press and hold the Pair and Eject button and then press the Xbox button. Continue holding Press and Eject buttons for another 10-15 seconds until you hear two “power-up” tones. Then, wait for the console to restart which means the update is now complete.
If your console’s OS version does not match the above-mentioned, versions, you need to download two builds and update the console two times. First download, OSU3 or OSU2 according to the OS version, and follow the above process to update the console. Then, download OSU1 and follow the above steps to complete the second update.
If your console is 6.2.9781.0, then, download OSU3 build, if not, download OSU2.
Download Xbox Offline System Update from xbox.com
This is how you can update the original Xbox One console offline.
How do I force my Xbox One to update offline?
Before, proceeding directly with the updates, you need to know the OS version of your Xbox One console and download the Offline Update System files according to it and load them into the USB drive. Then, follow the above methods to update the Xbox One.
Why won’t my Xbox One do an offline update?
It might be due to insufficient space on your Xbox console, or you are using the wrong versions of the Offline System Update files. You can restart the console, replug the USB to begin troubleshooting.
Related read: How to update firmware on Xbox gamepad on Windows.