Here is a full guide on how you can fix the Grand Theft Auto V Launcher has stopped working error on Windows 11/10 PC. Grand Theft Auto V or GTA V is an action-adventure game developed by Rockstar Games. It is quite a popular game amongst gaming enthusiasts. However, some gamers have reported experiencing the “Grand Theft Auto V Launcher has stopped working” error. While some users have encountered this error when launching the game, some experienced it when downloading an update. If you are one of those getting the same error, this post is for you. In this article, we are going to mention multiple working fixes to resolve the error.
Before discussing the solutions, let us try to understand why this error occurs.
What causes GTA V Launcher has stopped working?
These are the possible reasons for getting the GTA V Launcher has stopped working error:
- The problem might be with the corrupted installation of the Social Club application which triggers this error.
- Corrupted or missing game files associated with GTA V can be another reason for the same.
- Outdated graphics and sound drivers can also cause this error.
- In a few instances, using the Steam beta client can also result in this error.
How do you fix the GTA V launcher has stopped working?
You can fix the GTA V launcher has stopped working error by reinstalling the Social Club application, running the game in compatibility mode and with administrator privilege, verifying the integrity of game files on Steam, or updating your drivers. We have mentioned all these fixes below that you can check out.
Grand Theft Auto V Launcher has stopped working
Here are the methods to try if you keep getting the “Grand Theft Auto V Launcher has stopped working” error:
- Reinstall the Social Club application.
- Run the game in Compatibility Mode and as an administrator.
- Update your graphics and sound drivers.
- Verify integrity of game files (for Steam users).
- Opt-out of Steam Beta.
- Reinstall the game.
Let us discuss the above solutions in detail now!
1] Reinstall the Social Club application
In a few instances, the problem may lie with the corrupted installation of the Social Club application. So, you can try reinstalling the Social Club application and see if the issue is fixed. To do that, you will first have the uninstall the application. Simply open the Settings app using the Windows + I hotkey and go to the Apps > Apps & features section. Now, scroll down and locate the Rockstar Games Social Club application in the list. Select it and click on the Uninstall button to remove it. After that, you need to ensure that there is no remnant or leftover associated with its installation. You can manually look for the Social Club folder at the following locations for the non-Steam installation:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Rockstar Games
C:\Program Files\Rockstar Games
When you are done deleting the files, download the latest version of the Social Club application from the official website. Then, install it on your PC. See, if you are able to launch and use GTA V properly now.
2] Run the game in Compatibility Mode and as an administrator
You can also try running GTA V in compatibility mode for Windows 7 as it has proven to be effective for affected users. Other than Windows 7, you can also check with other versions of Windows and see if it helps you fix the “Grand Theft Auto V Launcher has stopped working” error. In addition to that, launching the game with administrative privilege may also help you get rid of the error. Here is how to do that:
- Firstly, launch the Steam client, go to the Library menu, and then locate the GTA V in your list of games.
- Now, right-click on the game, select the Properties option, go to the Local Files tab, and tap on the Browse Local Files option. This will open up the location of the game on your system. You can also manually search for the game’s location in the File Manager.
- Next, you need to click on the GTAV.exe file and choose the Properties option.
- After that, navigate to the Compatibility tab in the Properties window and enable the checkbox called “Run this program in compatibility mode for” and then select Windows 7 or some other Windows version from the menu.
- Then, select the “Run this program as an administrator” checkbox present under the Settings section.
- Finally, press the Apply > OK button to save changes and try relaunching the game.
Hopefully, this method will help you get rid of the “Grand Theft Auto V Launcher has stopped working” error. If not, you can move ahead with the next potential fix.
3] Update your graphics and sound drivers
It is always essential to keep your graphics and other drivers up-to-date to get the best gaming experience. So, if you haven’t updated your graphics drivers and sound drivers, it is time to update them.
You can easily update your drivers via the Optional Updates feature present inside the Settings > Windows Update section. Apart from that, you can visit the official website of the device manufacturer and get the updated driver versions from there. Or, use a free driver updater to automatically update your drivers.
After updating your drivers, relaunch GTA V and see if the error is fixed now.
4] Verify integrity of game files (for Steam users)
In case you have purchased and installed the GTA V game through Steam, you can try checking and repairing the corrupted or missing game files. Damaged or missing game files associated with the game installation might be a reason that you are getting the “Grand Theft Auto V Launcher has stopped working” error. Steam provides a nice feature that automatically scans and repair corrupted game files from their server. You can use it and see if it helps you fix the problem.
Here are the steps to verify the integrity of GTA V game files on Steam:
- First, launch the Steam client and go to the Library menu.
- Now, from the list of games, locate and select the GTA V game.
- Next, right-click on the game and select the Properties option.
- After that, go to the Local Files tab and press the Verify Integrity of Game Files button.
- When the game verification process is complete, try relaunching GTA V, and hopefully, you won’t get the same error anymore.
5] Opt-out of Steam Beta
In the Steam Beta program, you get to enjoy the latest game updates before generic users. However, it is not stable and might cause game crashes. Now, if you have opted for the Steam beta program, try opting out of it and see if the GTA V game runs fine. To do that, try the below steps:
- Firstly, launch Steam and click on the Steam option present at the topmost menubar.
- Now, click on the Settings option and go to the Account tab.
- Next, you will see a Beta participation option in the right-side panel. Simply tap on the Change button.
- Then, click on the drop-down button present next to Beta participation.
- After that, select the “NONE – Opt-out of all beta programs” option from the appeared options.
- Finally, press the OK button and close the Settings window.
You can try relaunching GTA V and see if the error is fixed now.
6] Reinstall the game
If none of the above solutions work for you, the last resort is to reinstall the game. So, uninstall and then install the game again on your system.
The Social Club / Non-Steam users can easily uninstall GTA V by using the Settings > Apps > Apps & features section. After removing the game, make sure you also delete the remnant files by going to this (default) location: C:\Program Files\Rockstar Games\Grand Theft Auto V\. When done, download the game from an official source and install it back on your system.
The Steam version users can follow the below steps to uninstall and then reinstall the GTA V game:
- Firstly, open the Steam client and click on the Library option from the menubar.
- Now, from your list of games, select the GTA V game and then right-click on it.
- After that, choose the Uninstall option to uninstall the game.
- Next, you need to delete leftover files by going to this default location in File Explorer:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Grand Theft Auto V\
- When done, search for the GTA V game on the Steam Store and install it back.
Hope this helps!
Why does GTAVLauncher.exe crash?
The reasons behind the crashing of GTAVLauncher.exe may vary from person to version. The common causes of this error are damaged or corrupted game files, outdated drivers, problematic installation of the Social Club app, or DirectX version mismatch. It may also occur if you are using the Beta participation feature of Steam.