Most of us take special care to keep our Windows 11 or Windows 10 operating system running in top condition. We may simply let our Windows carry out the scheduled automatic maintenance tasks or use some good freeware optimizer software.
If you want to go a step further and find out the state of health of your Windows computer, you can use a built-in tool called Perfmon or Performance Monitor or perfmon.exe.
Generate System Health Report using Perfmon
To generate a performance report of your system, open Run, type the following command, and hit Enter:
The Performance Monitor will now start analyzing your system state.
Perfmon basically carries out the following checks:
- Checks for attributes of the operating system
- Disk Checks – Checks for disk status
- Security Center Tests – For the state of Security Center related information.
- User Account Control
- Checks Windows Update state
- Check System Services status
- Hardware Device and Drivers and Windows Management Infrastructure supported devices.
Once the task has been completed, you will be presented with a list of findings.
Once the test is complete, you will also be able to export and save the findings via File > Save As.
The report is exhaustive and rather longish. The problems if any will be highlighted in red so that you can focus on only those issues.
There is another way to generate this advanced system health report.
Open Performance Monitor and on the left side, expand Data Collectors Set > System > System Diagnostics.
Right-click on System Diagnostics and select Start. You can do the same for System Performance as well.
After a while, you will be able to access the report under Reports > System > System Diagnostics.
You can use the findings to troubleshoot Windows problems.
- Health Report is not available in Windows 11/10
- An error occurred while attempting to generate this report, The Data Collector Set or one of its dependencies is already in use.