While downloading the Windows Update, many users have reported facing error code 0x80070103. If you are also facing the same problem, continue with this troubleshooting guide to get rid of the issue. When the Windows Update Error 0x80070103 occurs, it displays the following message.
There were some problems installing updates, but we’ll try again later. If you keep seeing this and want to search the web or contact support for information, this may help – (0x80070103).
0x80070103 -2147024637 ERROR_NO_MORE_ITEMS, If you see Windows Update Error 80070103 when installing updates, you may be trying to install a driver that is already installed on your computer or has a worse compatibility rating than an already installed driver.
What causes the Windows Update Error 0x80070103?
When you visit the Windows Update Web site or the Microsoft Update Web site to download the latest update for hardware drivers, and then you click install the updated driver, you may receive the following error message: 0x80070103. This issue occurs if the following scenarios are true:
Windows Update or Microsoft Update tries to install a driver a second time for an additional piece of identical hardware such as a graphics adapter.
Windows Update or Microsoft Update tries to update a currently installed driver to an unsuitable version of that driver.
Below is a list of all the major culprits behind the error code 0x80070103.
- The mentioned error code will occur if Windows Update gets confused due to identical hardware available on your system.
- If you have installed an incompatible driver version, you will face the error message.
- If the driver you are trying to update is under use by any others program, you will meet the error message.
Fix Windows Update Error 0x80070103
Here are all the solutions you can try to fix Windows Update Error 0x80070103 on your Windows 11/10 computer.
- Run Windows Update Troubleshooter
- Flush the SoftwareDistribution folder
- Then try to install the offered Drive & Optional Update.
1] Run Windows Update Troubleshooter
Windows comes with different built-in troubleshooting features on which you can rely to get rid of various problems. To eliminate any Windows Update issue, you can look forward to Windows Update Troubleshooter. You can use this feature by following the below steps.
- Launch the Settings menu by pressing Windows + I shortcut key.
- Tap on this System option present on the left panel of the screen.
- Now, choose Troubleshoot.
- From the following window, click on Other troubleshooters.
- Tap on the Run option present next to Windows Update.
It will begin the Windows Update troubleshooting. Once the process is complete, restart your system, and try to download the update. Check if the problem is fixed or not. If not, try the next solution.
2] Flush the SoftwareDistribution folder
All the Windows Update files are temporarily stored in the SoftwareDistribution folder. But by any chance, if these files get corrupted, you will face the mentioned error code. To solve the problem, you will have to delete the SoftwareDistribution folder. Here are the steps you need to follow.
To begin with, you will have to stop the Windows Update Services. For this, open Command Prompt in administrator mode and type the below-mentioned commands and press enter.
net stop wuauserv
net stop cryptsvc
Now, open File Explorer, navigate to C:\ Windows and locate the SoftwareDistribution folder.
Delete the folder.
Open Command Prompt again in administrator mode.
Type the below-mentioned commands and press enter. It will start the Windows Update Service.
net start cryptsvc
That’s it. Now restart your system and check if the problem persists. If yes, try the next solution.
3] Install the offered Drive & Optional Update
having done the above two steps, you may now try to install the Updates.
To install Driver and Optional Updates in Windows 11, then the procedure is as follows:
- Right-click on the Start button and select Settings.
- In the Settings window, select the Windows Updates tab from the list on the left-hand side.
- In the Windows Updates tab, click on Advanced Options.
- Under the Additional options menu, you would find Optional updates.
- Click on it and select the updates you wish to download.
To check the Driver and Optional Updates available to your Windows 10 system:
- Open Settings (Win + I)
- Navigate to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update
- Right under it, look for a clickable link—View optional updates.
- Under Driver Updates, a list of updates will be available, which you can choose to install if you are facing an issue manually.
How do I fix Microsoft update error?
Whenever you face any kind of issue while downloading the Windows Update, you can consider running the Windows Update Troubleshooter. To use this service, open Settings > System > Troubleshoot > Other troubleshooters > Run the troubleshooter. Check if it solves the problem.
How do I fix error 0x800700c1?
It’s very easy to get rid of Windows Update Error Code 0x800700c1. In fact, there are multiple ways to fix it. From disabling the anti-virus tool, running SFC and DISM scan, running the Windows Update troubleshooter, to removing the temporary Windows update files from the SoftwareDistribution folder. You can change the startup type of the Windows Installer Service and install the Windows Update via the Media Creation tool to solve the problem as well.