This post features solutions to fix 0x8007000B Windows Installation Error. It is a common installation error that can occur while trying to clean-install or upgrade Windows 11/10 using an ISO or a Setup file. Fortunately, you can follow some simple suggestions to fix the error.
Windows was unable to create a required installation folder, Error code 0x8007000B.
Fix 0x8007000B Windows Installation Error
To fix the Windows Installation Error 0x8007000B, boot normally to your desktop, and then follow these suggestions:
- Check permissions of the System Drive
- Run the Windows Update Troubleshooter
- Run SFC and DISM
- Clear Space using Disk Cleanup
- Disable Third-Party Security Software
- Disconnect all USB peripherals
- Change Installation methods – Use Media Creation Tool or Windows ISO
Now, let’s see these in detail.
Windows was unable to create a required installation folder
1] Check permissions of the System Drive
Firstly, check if the system drive has appropriate permissions for installing Windows. This is because the Windows Installer may be unable to install Windows in the selected system drive due to a lack of permissions. Follow these steps to view and modify these permissions:
- Press the Windows + E combination to open the File Explorer.
- Right-click on the System Drive and select Properties.
- Navigate to the Security tab and click on Edit.
- Here, select the Users group and check the Full Control box under Allow.
- Click Apply and then OK to save changes.
2] Run the Windows Update Troubleshooter
Before you make any changes to your device, consider running the Windows Update Troubleshooter. This inbuilt utility by Windows can scan and fix update and installation errors automatically. Here’s how:
- Open Settings by pressing the Windows key + I combination.
- Navigate to System > Troubleshoot > Other Troubleshooters.
- Here, click on Run beside Windows Update.
Related: Windows cannot be installed to this disk
3] Run SFC and DISM
Running SFC and DISM can help fix the 0x8007000B Windows installation error by repairing corrupted or damaged system files and fixing errors with the Windows system image. Here’s how:
Open an elevated Command Prompt.
Type the following commands and hit Enter.
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
Restart your device once done and check if the error’s fixed.
4] Clear Space using Disk Cleanup
Apps and updates may have trouble installing if there isn’t enough disk space on your device. Consider clearing some space using the Disk Cleanup Tool if that’s the case. Here’s how:
- Search for Disk Cleanup, click open it and select the files that you want to delete.
- The Disk Cleanup system will now ask for confirmation.
- Click on Delete Files to proceed.
- Using this option, you can delete all but the latest system restore points, Windows Update Cleanup, Previous Windows installations, etc.
5] Disable Third-Party Security Software
Security applications like a third-party antivirus and Windows Defender Firewall can sometimes interrupt the installation. Disable these applications temporarily and see if the installation error gets fixed.
6] Disconnect all USB peripherals
Disconnecting all USB peripherals can help fix the error. These connected USB devices can sometimes interfere with the Windows installation process, causing the error 0x8007000B. Shut down your device, disconnect all USB peripherals, restart it, and attempt to install Windows again.
7] Change Installation methods – Use Media Creation Tool or Windows ISO
If none of these methods were able to help you, repair the Windows OS using the Installation media. Here’s how you can do it:
- Download Windows ISO and create a Bootable USB or DVD drive
- Boot from the media and choose Repair your computer.
- Under Advanced Troubleshooting, select Advanced Options > Troubleshoot.
- Now click on Startup Repair and follow the instructions on-screen.
Read: Fix Windows Installation, Update or Upgrade Failed Errors
We hope one of these suggestions helped you.
What is 0x8007000B?
The error 0x8007000B indicates that Windows cannot locate or access a specific file or folder required for the installation or update process. To fix this, you must repair the corrupt system files, reset Windows Update Components and clear system space.
How do you fix the Windows installation error?
To fix installation errors in Windows devices, run the Windows update troubleshooter and restart the Windows Update Service. Nevertheless, if that doesn’t work, try performing a System Restore and install updates manually.