With a digital code, your gift recipient can purchase popular games, add-ons, map packs and more. If you get the error code XBOS3008 when you try to redeem a digital code on an Xbox console or online, then this post is intended to help you. This post provides the most suitable solutions to resolve this issue. You may also encounter this error when you retry a failed transaction.
Error XBOS3008 when redeeming a digital code on Xbox console or Online
With Xbox Live gift card, you can present someone with a selection of best Xbox, PC games and movie entertainment available – give them a chance to try out the best exclusive game titles, apps, films, and TV shows and accessories, all with a single gift card.
If you have encountered the Error XBOS3008 when redeeming a digital code on Xbox console or Online, you can try our recommended solutions in the order presented below and see if that helps to fix the error on your gaming device.
- Check Xbox server status
- Check your Xbox subscription
- Contact Xbox Support
Let’s take a look at the description of the process involved concerning each of the listed solutions.
Before you proceed with the solutions below, if you have Xbox Live Gold trial subscription, the following limitations and restrictions applies:
- If you have an existing Xbox Live Gold paid subscription, you can’t redeem a digital code to extend the subscription period. However, you can redeem the digital code once your current subscription expires.
- Digital codes are only available in certain games and bundles.
- You can’t access Games with Gold with this type of subscription.
- You can’t stack digital codes – this means that you can’t start another trial period before your current trial period has finished. However, you can purchase a new Xbox Live Gold subscription and start the subscription at any time during the trial period.
- If you don’t currently have a paid Xbox Live Gold subscription, you can use an unlimited number of digital codes to receive separate Xbox Live Gold trial subscriptions – but you cannot stack digital codes.
1] Check Xbox server status
If there’s Xbox server outage, you’re most likely to encounter the Error XBOS3008 when redeeming a digital code on your Xbox console or online – to ascertain this isn’t the case, you can check Xbox server status at support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-live-status – if there’s server outage, there’s nothing much you can do but wait for the servers to be back online. On the other hand, if all services are green indicating services are up and running, but the error is unresolved, then it’s likely you’re having connectivity issues on your Xbox. To rule out this possibility, you’ll have to test internet and network connection on your console.
To test internet and network connection on your console, do the following:
- Press the Xbox button to open the guide.
- Select Profile & system> Settings > General > Network settings.
- Select Test network connection.
If the network connection test fails on the console, you can check and fix DNS isn’t resolving the Xbox server names issue that can potentially prevent Xbox Live connection; hence, the issue in hand. However, if you determine that internet/network connection issues isn’t the case, but the error in hand is not fixed, you can try the next solution.
2] Check your Xbox subscription
You are likely to encounter the issue in hand because digital codes cannot be used or activated if your Xbox subscription is suspended or has a balance due – if this is the case, then to fix the error, you must resolve all unpaid balances and account suspensions before you can use the code – but you cannot use a digital code to settle the balance you owe.
To pay an unpaid balance, do the following:
- Sign in to your Microsoft account at account.microsoft.com.
- Go to Services & subscriptions.
- Locate the unpaid balance.
- Select Pay now.
- Follow the prompts to complete the transaction.
However, if your Xbox subscription is suspended, you’ll need to update your billing address and payment options. To perform this task, follow the instructions in the guide on how to fix Error 0x80BD0006 when connecting or using Xbox Live features.
3] Contact Xbox Support
In the event none of the solutions provided in this post worked for you, and you still need further assistance, you can contact Xbox Support.
Related post: Xbox Game Gifting not working
Why can’t I redeem a code on my Xbox?
Some codes can’t be redeemed if your Microsoft account is suspended or has a balance due. In this case, you need to resolve all account suspensions and unpaid balances before redeeming the code by contacting Xbox support.
Do Xbox digital codes expire?
The code shouldn’t expire. As long as you have an active account on your game console be it a PS4 or Xbox One, you should be able to install and play the game whenever you want. The only downloads that expire are the free ones from PS+ or Xbox Live (if your subscription expires and you don’t renew it).