I always enjoy watch clips and videos in Windows Media Player than any other player this very reason I always look forcodec pack suitable for my need. As you know Windows 8 does not natively supports MKV, so when the Windows 8 Release Preview came out, I been searching for Codec Packs that works well with Windows 8.
So far I found two of them that meets my requirement and work just fine on Windows 8. I used to play MKV format quiet often and I especially I download the 1080p trailers that often come in MKV format.
Codec Packs for Windows 8
Here are the two codec packs which worked well on my Windows 8.
Shark007 Codec Pack
One of the popular codec pack from Windows 7 days is “Shark007”. Lucky they have released codec pack for Windows 8 as well. The main feature of Shark007 is that MKV playback is fully supported including thumb nailing.
Main features include:
1. Full color thumbnails including FLV’s and 10bit MKV’s
2. Enable the Preview Pane for ALL newly enabled file types such as MKV and FLV.
3. Explorer properties are displayed for non native file types such as MKV and FLV
4. Updated often – and has update notification built-in
5. Allow use of the PDVD12 decoders for 32bit LiveTV
6. Supports the use of Xbox360 as Extenders to playback MKV files
7. Allows single-click setup of Bitstreamed Audio
8. Support playback of MOD audio files and M4A files containing ALAC
9. Supports playlist creation for use in Media Center
10. Allow users to Enable/Disable codecs installed on their system
11. Functionality such as Win7DSFilterTweaker built-in.
12. Support ‘Add to Windows Media Player List’ using right click on all files such as MKV.
Go here for download & Setup instructions.
DivX Codec Pack
Shark007 codec pack meets most of the requirementbut I am very curious to test other packs that support MKV format and stumbled upon the DivX Media pack HD. I found MKV quality much better with DivX codec pack though this does not support all the formats that Shark007 does the MKV quality is truly greatand this comes with DivX Media player.
DivX pack also contains codec packs for browsers that enables you video streaming through browsers as well. It also support stream MKV files to your Xbox and PlayStation.
Visit divx.con to download it.
If you’d like to recommend any other, please feel free to do so in the comments section below.
Windows 7 users may want to check out these 3 popular free Media Codec Packs.