If you are for some reason, unable to delete your desktop icons, files or folders in Windows 7, try one or more of the following:
1. Refresh the desktop and see if you can now delete them.
2. Boot in safe mode and try deleting them.
3. Go to the desktop folder/s and try deleting from there. The typical path is C:\Users\UserName\Desktop or C:\Users\Public\Desktop.
5. If they are leftover icons after un-installing a program, install the program again, delete the desktop icons and then uninstall the program.
6. Open Regedit and navigate to
Double click on NameSpace and check inside each of the GUID folders. If you are able to identify the icon by name, delete it. This is esp useful for deleting some un-deletable system icons.
7. Open cmd, use syntax RD /S /Q “pathname” where:
/S : Delete all files and subfolders in addition to the folder itself. Use this to remove an entire folder tree.
/Q : Quiet – do not display YN confirmation
Use these keys depending on your need.