When upgrading, if the Windows Setup fails with Error Code 8007001F – 0x3000D, then technically it means that there is a problem with the user profile migration on the computer. The exact cause in technical terms is:
The installation failed in the FIRST_BOOT phase with an error during MIGRATE_DATA operation.
During installation, Windows goes through multiple phases during boot up, and this failure happens in the first boot phase.
Windows Upgrade Error Code 8007001F – 0x3000D
If you know how to analyze log files, you need to determine the files or Registry entries that are blocking data migration. Usually, this error occurs when there is a problem with user profiles. Registry corruption can make Profile user entries invalid.
In short, you need to figure out User Profiles which are either duplicate or should not have been there. At times when a previous upgrade did not finish, invalid profiles might exist in the Windows.old\Users directory. You should delete accounts or related entries from the Registry
These specific files and profiles casing the error will be listed in the Windows Setup Log files. Look for “setuperr.text” file in C:\Windows. Open, and look for mention of user profiles. The log messages are in this format:
Date/Time : 2016-09-08 09:23:50
Log level: Warning MIG
Component Message : Could not replace object C:\Users\name\Cookies. Target Object cannot be removed.
Make sure to create a system restore point before deleting files. In case something goes wrong, you have a way to restore to a working condition.
Delete Invalid Users from Registry
Type regedit in the RUN prompt, and hit enter.
Find out the list of profiles that are invalid.
Delete Invalid User Folders
- Go to the drive where Windows is installed. (Assuming C here)
- Navigate to C:\Users and find invalid profiles that should not have been here.
- Delete it and empty the Recycle Bin as well.
This should resolve the Error Code 8007001F – 0x3000D. Let us know if this worked for you.
- The installation failed in the FIRST_BOOT phase with an error during SYSPREP operation
- The installation failed in the FIRST_BOOT phase Error 0x800707E7 – 0x3000D
- The installation failed in the FIRST_BOOT phase with an error during BEGIN_FIRST_BOOT operation
- The installation failed with an error during MIGRATE_DATA operation, Error Code 0x80070004 – 0x3000D.