Universal Media Server is a free DLNA-compliant UPnP Media Server. It allows you to stream all your media content very easily with a very minimal configuration. Based on PS3 Media Server and written in JAVA, the software support almost all major device platforms. To support a wide range of formats, Universal Media Server uses many powerful platforms such as MEncoder, FFmpeg, Avisynth, etc. Before installing this software, ensure that you have Java Runtime Environment 7.0.
Universal Media Server for PC
The interface of the program is very easy to operate and navigate. Everything is properly aligned and categorized under different tabs and three main controls are fixed at the very top of the software window. As I already told that the server supports most of the device platforms, so here’s the list of devices that are supported by the Universal Media Server:
- Sony PlayStation
- Microsoft Xbox
- Sony Bravia
- Google Android
- Freebox HD
- Freecom MusicPal
- Pioneer Kuro
- Nokia N900
- Philips Aurea
- Philips Net TV
- Yamaha RX-V671
- OPPO blu-ray players
- DirecTV HR
- Popcorn Hour
- Asus O!Play
- AC Ryan PlayOn!HD
- Brite-view CinemaTube
- Samsung televisions
- Philips Streamium
- Western Digital WD TV Live
- XBMC Media Center
- LG Smart TV Upgrader
- Samsung UPC Horizon
With this software you can create streaming for just anyone, maybe your friends, family members, colleagues, or anyone else. You can stream your favorite movies, music or any other media content on your own media server. Universal Media Server is very easy to set up and use, if you still face some problems, you can visit their forums here and you can also browse their F.A.Qs.
There are many plugins available for the software. Plugins allow you to enhance the productivity of the software. Here’s a list of major plugins supported by the software. This list would surely give you an idea about the productivity and external support of your media server.
- Banshee – integration with the Banshee music database (discussion)
- Jumpy – browse XBMC addons and/or write UMS plugins in Python (discussion)
- MediaMonkey – integration with the MediaMonkey music database (Windows only) (discussion)
- MediathekBridge – works in conjunction with MediathekView to stream German TV channels (discussion)
- MythTV Live – stream MythTV live streams to UMS (discussion)
- OSX Smart Folder – browse and stream content from Mac OS X Smart Folders (Mac OS X only)
- Rhythmbox – integration with the Rhythmbox music database (non-Windows) (discussion)
- RTVE Alacarta – stream TV shows from the RTVE.es A la Carta site (Spanish) (discussion)
- SmugMug – interface to the SmugMug photo hosting service (discussion)
- SoundCloud4PS3 – browse and listen to music on SoundCloud (discussion)
- Subsonic – browse music shared via subsonic.org (discussion)
- Uitzending Gemist – view videos available on the (Dutch) TV catchup service, Uitzending Gemist (discussion)
- VDR – stream audio/video from the Linux VDR (Video Disk Recorder) personal video recorder (discussion)
- XBMC – exposes the XBMC media library to UMS (discussion)
- EDL – per-file/directory edit decision lists with MEncoder (discussion)
- PMSEncoder – enhanced web video streaming/scraping with GreaseMonkey-style userscripts (discussion)
- CCML – organize and browse files by tags in custom metadata files (discussion)
- Last.fm – Last.fm scrobbling support (discussion)
Tools and Utilities
- Shutdown – allows the server PC to be shut down from the renderer (Windows and Linux only) (discussion)
How does Universal media server work?
Universal Media Server scans and detects all kinds of media devices connected to a local area network. Following that, you can manage your media renders devices from one place. Whether one or multiple devices are connected to a network, Universal Media Server helps you manage them all from one window.
What can you do with a media server?
The main purpose of a media server is to provide the requested media file by a client connected to a local area network. Whether it is a video or audio, a typical media server can broadcast any content from the host device. However, if you want to manage all the media renderers, you can use the Universal Media Server app.
Universal Media Server download
I want to conclude by saying that this software is a near-perfect Media Server utility. Now creating a Media Server is a very easy job! Click here to download Universal Media Converter.