If you have just purchased a new copy of Microsoft Office and you find that you are unable to unlock or activate it using the license key given, then you may want to try out the following troubleshooting steps.
Unable to activate Microsoft Office
The most common error that occurs when you enter the Microsoft Office product key is:
This is not a valid Office product key, Verify that you have the correct key and retype it.
If you get this error or you are unable to unlock or activate Microsoft Office, first please ensure that you are using the correct type of Office key which is meant for your Region too, and then try this:
- Check the numbers and letters on the product key. Sometimes the number eight (8) can resemble a capitalized B, and a number zero (0) can resemble a capitalized O. Copy the product key from an email message to avoid typing errors.
- Make sure that you are not using a product key from an older version of Office. These product keys will not work with Office.
- Do not use a product key that might be attached to the bottom of your laptop, or on the back of your desktop computer. These are usually the Microsoft Windows product keys and will not work with Office.
- If a Product Key Card was purchased at a retail store and activated at the register, do not use the key that is inside the card to unlock Office 2010. You must login to the website listed on the card and follow the instructions to obtain the actual product key for the version of the Office that you purchased.
- A product key for an Office stand-alone product (such as Microsoft Visio Professional) will not be accepted as a product key for an Office 2010 suite. It is important to match the product key to the product for which it is specified.
- Volume License product keys will not be accepted for a retail Office product.
- There are some free Microsoft Office activation troubleshooter tools that can help you fix your MS Office activation-related issue. These troubleshooters can work for MS Office 2019 and lower versions as well as Office 365. These help you find activation or product key related problems and provide fixes. The step-by-step procedure provided by these troubleshooters makes the task easier.
If this doesn’t help, you may have to contact Microsoft Support.