If you notice that that the Set as metered connection setting or option is greyed out on your Windows 10 computer, and consequently, you’re unable to change the connection, then this post may be able to help you.
It could be greyed out in any one of the following settings:
- Settings > Network & Internet > Cellular > Advanced options.
- Settings > Network & Internet > Wi-Fi > select the Wi-Fi network you’re connected to.
- Settings > Network & Internet > Ethernet > select the Ethernet network you’re connected to.
A metered connection is an internet connection that has a data limit associated with it. Some apps might work differently on a metered connection to help reduce your data usage. Also, some updates for Windows won’t be installed automatically. A cellular data network connection is set as metered by default. Wi-Fi and Ethernet network connections can be set to metered but aren’t by default.
Set as metered connection setting greyed out
When your Set as metered connection setting is greyed out you cannot turn it off or on because the option is not available. If you’re faced with this issue, you can do the following (if applicable) to your case:
Remove the Data Usage Limit if one is set by following these steps:
- Open Settings > Network & Internet > Status .
- Under your network, select Data usage.
- Under Choose a network, select the network connection
- Finally, select Remove limit > Remove.
You need to also make sure you’re signed in with an administrator’s account. To see if you have the rights, follow these steps:
- Open Settings > Accounts > Your info.
- Check if it says Administrator under your username.
Last but not the least, the metered connection setting might be set by your organization. In which case, check with your IT support person.
Hope this helps!
- Tags: Settings