If the scroll bar missing is missing in the Chrome browser, it becomes almost impossible to scroll down the web page and view its content. Normally, it lies hidden in the corner and becomes visible when you point the mouse cursor to the edge of the screen. Still, at times, it just refuses to show up. This makes navigation quite difficult. So, when you experience such an erroneous behavior, fix it by following the instructions given below.
Fix Scroll bar missing in Google Chrome
An update to the browser usually fixes the issues. However, if the problem persists, you may try any one of the following options.
- Disable Overlay Scrollbars Flag
- Restore settings to their original defaults
- Disable Hardware Acceleration.
1] Disable Overlay Scrollbars Flag
When enabled, this Chrome flag enables scrollbar to overlay content in a semi-transparent manner and shrinks away the moment you move your mouse cursor away. This makes spotting the scroll bar difficult. So, disable the flag and see if it solves the problem. For this,
- Type chrome://flags and hit Enter.
- When directed to a new page, type ‘Overlay Scrollbars’ in the search bar.
- When the option appears, hit the drop-down arrow adjacent to the option and select ‘Disabled’ option.
- Now, hit the ‘Relaunch’ button and see if the problem is solved.
2] Restore settings to their original defaults
- Launch the Google Chrome browser.
- Click on the 3 dots (Customize and Control Google Chrome) and choose ‘Settings’.
- Next, scroll down to find the ‘Advanced’ option. When seen, click it.
- In the left pane, scroll down to the bottom and choose ‘Reset and Cleanup’ option.
- When prompted with the message, ignore it and hit the ‘Reset Settings’ button.
Please note that the action, when confirmed, will reset your startup page, new tab page, search engine, and pinned tabs. It will also disable all extensions and clear temporary data like cookies.
3] Disable Hardware Acceleration
If Chrome is having problems displaying visual elements on the screen like showing a scroll bar, you can try disabling the hardware acceleration.
All the best.