In this article, we will see the possible solutions for the problem Print to PDF is not working in Windows 10. The Microsoft Print to PDF feature lets users save documents and web pages as PDF on their computer. This feature works on a number of applications like Microsoft Word, Excel, web browsers, Notepad, etc. To save a file as PDF, you simply have to press Ctrl + P keys on your keyboard.
Sometimes, due to an error, Print to PDF does not work. Some users have reported that this feature is not working on Edge, whereas others have experienced the same problem on all the supported applications installed on their Windows 10 computer.
Print to PDF not working in Windows 10
If you are experiencing the same issue on your system, the following solutions may help you:
- Check the User folder.
- Check the PDF file name.
- Disable and enable again the Microsoft Print to PDF.
- Set Microsoft Print to PDF as a default printer.
- Change your web browsers’ download folder location.
- Update the Microsoft Print to PDF driver.
Before you start these troubleshooting methods, please check whether there is any Windows update pending or not. Install the updates if they are available.
1] Check the User folder
Sometimes on giving the Print to PDF command to Edge, it saves the webpage as PDF to the default directory without showing any save dialog box to the users. In such case, the downloaded files may be available at any of the following locations:
Don’t forget to replace the username with the name of your computer.
2] Check the PDF file name
The file that you are saving as a PDF should not contain commas and any other special characters in its name. If it contains commas and special characters, Windows will create it to zero bytes size and you will not be able to find it in the target folder.
3] Disable and enable again the Microsoft Print to PDF
Sometimes re-enabling the Print to PDF feature can help.
Follow the below-listed instructions:
- Type Windows Features in the Windows Search bar and click it to launch.
- Look for Microsoft Print to PDF and uncheck the box to disable it.
- Click OK to save the settings.
- Restart your computer.
- Repeat the above steps to enable it again.
- Restart your computer
Check whether the issue persists or not. If yes, try the next method.
4] Set Microsoft Print to PDF as a default printer
The following instructions will guide you on how to do that.
- Launch Control Panel and click Hardware and Sound.
- Click Devices and Printers.
- In the Printers section, you will find Microsoft Print to PDF.
- Right-click on it and select Set as default printer.
Did it help?
5] Change your web browsers’ download folder location
If after trying the above methods, you are still facing the issue that the webpages are saved as PDF to the default location, you can try changing the download location in Edge and other web browsers. After changing the default download location, check whether the issue resolves or not.
6] Update the Microsoft Print to PDF driver
This type of problem also occurs due to the faulty or corrupt driver. Update the Print to PDF driver and see if it helps.
Follow the instructions given below:
- Type Device Manager in the Windows 10 search bar and click on it to launch.
- Expand Print Queues section.
- There you will find the Microsoft Print to PDF. Right-click on it and select Update Driver.
- Follow the on-screen instructions.
After the update, restart your system.
We hope this article helped solve your problem.
Related post: Cannot print a file; It opens as ‘Save as’ instead.