If after you upgrade the operating system on a Surface Book, or any other Windows 10-powered device, and you’re unable to use the Kinect for Windows Sensor on the device, then this post is intended to help you. In this post, we will identify some potential known causes that can trigger the error and then provide the possible solutions you can try to help remediate this issue.
When you try to use the Kinect Sensor on your Windows 10 device, you may experience one or more of the following issues:
- The Kinect Sensor is not recognized.
- You receive a “USB device is not recognized” error message.
- The Kinect light is orange (no connection) or it is flashing white.
This issue occurs because of a change in SurfaceUsbHubFwUpdate.sys – the Surface USB Hub Firmware Update driver.
Kinect Sensor not detected on Windows 10
If you’re faced with the issue of Kinect Sensor not detected on Windows 10, you’ll need to delete the Value data contents of the LowerFilters string in Registry Editor to resolve this issue.
- Press Windows key + R.
- In the Run dialog box, type regedit and hit Enter to open Registry Editor.
- Navigate or jump to the registry key path below:
- On the right pane, double-click the LowerFilters string to edit it’s properties.
- Now, clear (leave it blank) whatever is under the Value data field.
- Click OK to save changes.
- Restart your device.
That’s it! Windows 10 should now be able to detect the Kinect Sensor.