If you want to import or export saved passwords from the Microsoft Edge browser, then this article will be helpful for you. For this, you do not need to install a third-party extension or opt for any service.
Although it is not generally recommended, many people often save passwords in the browser. If you are one of them who want to export all the saved passwords and import them in a Password Manager, then you can do this easily. Let’s assume that you want to migrate all the saved passwords from Edge to Chrome or vice versa.
How to export saved passwords from Microsoft Edge
To export saved passwords from Microsoft Edge, follow these steps-
- Open the Microsoft Edge browser.
- Click on the Settings and more button.
- Select Settings from the list.
- Click on the Passwords option.
- Click the three-dotted icon.
- Select the Export passwords option.
- Click on the Export passwords button in the popup.
- Enter the password to verify.
- Select a path to save the .csv file.
- Click the Save button.
Let’s check out these steps in detail.
At first, you need to open the Microsoft Edge browser and click on the Settings and more button. It is visible on the top-right corner, and it looks like a three-dotted icon. Alternatively, you can press Alt+F. From here, do click on the Settings option.
Now, make sure that you are in the Profiles tab. If so, you can find the Passwords option. For your information, if your password is saved in a different profile, you need to switch from the current profile to that before clicking the Passwords option.
After that, click on the three-dotted icon associated with the Saved password, and select the Export passwords option.
Now you should see a popup window where you can find the Export passwords button. After clicking the button, you need to enter your user account password. In case your laptop has Windows Hello support, you can use fingerprint, face, or PIN option as well.
Then, you need to select a path where you want to save the file. Once you do that, you need to name your file and click the Save button.
That’s all the steps. If you want to import passwords to Microsoft Edge from a CSV file, you should know that it is not possible at this moment. Although there is an option to import saved passwords from another browser to Microsoft Edge, the CSV file support is not there yet.
Import passwords to Edge from CSV file or another browser
To import passwords into Microsoft Edge, follow these steps-
- Open the Microsoft Edge browser.
- Expand Settings and more list.
- Select Favorites > Import.
- Select browser from Import from the drop-down list.
- Uncheck all boxes except Saved passwords.
- Click the Import button.
Open the Microsoft Edge browser on your computer. Then, click the three-dotted icon that is known as Settings and more button. After that, go to Favorites and select the Import option.
Now you can find a pop-up window, where you need to choose the source browser. For that, expand the Import from drop-down menu, and select a browser from the list. Then, you need to uncheck all the boxes except Saved passwords. Do so, and click the Import button.
All the saved passwords from the source browser should be imported immediately to Microsoft Edge.
Hope this tutorial helps.
- Export Passwords from Firefox
- Import Passwords into Firefox browser from Chrome
- Export Passwords from Chrome browser
- Import Passwords into Chrome browser from another browser.