The Sxstrace.exe uses the EXE file extension and is more specifically known as Sxs Tracing Tool file. In this post, we will show you how to use Sxstrace.exe command line tool in diagnosing side-by-side errors on Windows 11/10.
What is a SideBySide error?
If the current installed Microsoft Visual C++ version is not backward compatible with the application that crashed the SideBySide error will be triggered on your Windows 11/10 PC. The Event ID 33 or 59 is typically associated with the error.
How to use Sxstrace.exe command line tool in Windows 11/10
Essentially, side-by-side assemblies are a way to ensure that a given application will always use a specific version of a DLL, particularly Windows system DLLs (such as the Common Controls), no matter the Service Packs, Updates or new applications installed after it.
With the sxstrace utility, PC users can easily diagnose side-by-side errors. To use Sxstrace.exe command line tool in Windows 11/10, follow the steps below to run sxstrace.exe to create the trace as a binary file and convert the binary file into a readable format; the binary is located at C:\Windows\System32\sxstrace.exe.
- Press Windows key + R to invoke the Run dialog.
- In the Run dialog box, type cmd and then press CTRL + SHIFT + ENTER to open Command Prompt in admin/elevated mode.
- In the command prompt window, copy and paste the command below and hit Enter to start Trace:
sxstrace.exe Trace -logfile:tracetest.log
Note: Make sure you run the command on a directory with Write permissions. Alternatively, you can point the –logfile parameter to a directory with write permissions.
- Now that you have started Trace, run the program throwing the error message. When the error message appears click OK.
- Next, switch back to the CMD prompt window and hit Enter to stop Trace or run the command below:
The tracetest.log will be in a binary formatted file, so you’ll need to convert the log to human-readable format by parsing the binary log file and creating a text file.
- Now, run the command below:
sxstrace.exe Parse -logfile:tracetest.log -outfile:tracetest.txt
- Exit Command Prompt when the command executes.
You can now open Run dialog, copy/paste the file path below and hit Enter to open the tracetest.txt file to analyze the log file for troubleshooting:
So, to conclude this tutorial which we trust you’ll find very informative, the sxstrace.exe command-line tool can be used to diagnose, troubleshoot and fix application-related errors like The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect, similar to the SideBySide Error 59 on Windows 11/10 computers.
What does Sxstrace exe do?
The sxstrace utility assists in diagnosing side-by-side errors. Follow these steps to run sxstrace.exe. These steps will create the trace as a binary file and convert the binary file into a readable format.
What does side-by-side configuration mean?
A side-by-side configuration error usually appears when you try to install or update certain software and is usually caused by a conflict between the files in the C++ runtime libraries and the software that you’re trying to update/install.
How do I fix a side-by-side configuration error?
To fix side-by-side configuration is incorrect error on your Windows 11/10 PC, try any of the following suggestions:
- Re-download the installer file.
- Repair the problematic application via Settings app or via Add or Remove Programs applet.
- Reinstall the problematic application.
- Check your Registry.
- Install the latest Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Packages.
- Perform a System File Checker scan.
What causes side by side configuration errors?
The “side by side configuration is incorrect” error may occur on your Windows 11/10 device because the Visual C++ Runtime on your computer is corrupted or missing. In most cases, to resolve the issue, reinstalling the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Packages on your computer can help you restore the corrupted or missing Runtime.