Are you experiencing error code 22 on The Sims 4? Some players have reported to be getting this error code on both PC as well as Xbox consoles. What is this error code and how you can fix it, let us learn in this post.
What is error code 22 on Sims Save?
The error code 22 on The Sims 4 occurs when you try to save a game. When triggered, you will get the following error message with this error code:
The game failed to Save. Please exit to the Main Menu and then select Play to reload the game. Error code: 22.
This error could be triggered if some background program running on your computer is blocking the game files. Apart from that, the error could be very well facilitated by a corrupted game cache. Damaged game files can be another reason for triggering this error. Besides that, outdated game versions and third-party software conflicts can also trigger this error.
Not just Windows, this error is reported to occur on Xbox consoles as well. Now, it could be insufficient space on your console or corrupted reserved space containing mods and other data which is triggering the error.
Fix The Sims 4 Error Code 22, The game failed to Save
If you are experiencing error code 22 in The Sims 4, you can use the below fixes to resolve it:
- Close the background programs.
- Delete the game cache.
- Verify and repair the game files.
- Make sure the game is up-to-date.
- Troubleshoot in a clean boot state.
- Clear some space on your disk (for Xbox).
- Install system updates on your Xbox console
- Delete Reserved Space (only on Xbox).
Before you try the above methods, we would recommend you perform a power cycle on your computer or Xbox console. Shut down your PC or console, unplug it, wait for a few seconds, plug it back, and then restart it to check if the error is resolved. If not, you can follow the below solutions.
1] Close the background programs
As it turns out to be, the error could be triggered due to certain background programs like OneDrive, Dropbox, Google Drive, firewall, antivirus, etc., running on your computer. So, you can close the background programs and then check if the error code 22 in The Sims 4 is resolved or not. You can open Task Manager using Ctrl+Shift+Esc and close background programs.
In case the error is caused due to your firewall or antivirus, you can whitelist the game through your security program to fix the error.
2] Delete the game cache
The error code 22 in The Sims 4 can be caused due to corrupted game cache. Hence, if the scenario applies, you can clear the game cache associated with The Sims 4 and then check if the error is fixed. Here’s how:
- First, close any instance of The Sims 4 running on your computer. You can open Task Manager and use the End task button to close it.
- Now, open File Explorer using Win+E and move to the Documents folder.
- Next, locate the Electronic Arts folder and double-click on it to open it.
- After that, open the folder named The Sims 4 and copy the saves folder on the desktop or some other location.
- Then, you will see a localthumbcache.package file in The Sims 4 folder; delete it.
- Now, open the Cache folder and delete all the content and files except for the FileCache.cfg file.
- Finally, relaunch the game and check if the error is fixed or not.
3] Verify and repair the game files
The error could be facilitated due to corrupted game files. So, it is recommended to perform a verification check on your game files in Origin and let it repair the corrupted game files. Here are the steps to do so:
- Firstly, open the Origin client and move to its My Game Library.
- After that, locate and right-click on The Sims 4.
- Now, click on the Repair option from the opened context menu.
- After that, you can perform the prompted steps to complete the game files’ verification and repair process.
- Once done, restart The Sims 4 and check if the error code 22 is resolved or not.
4] Make sure the game is up-to-date
It might be the case that your game is not up-to-date which is why you are experiencing error codes like error 22. If so, download and install the latest game patches available and then see if the error is fixed. You can open Origin, right-click on The Sims 4, and choose the Check for update option to download and install pending game updates. When the game is updated, relaunch it and check if error 22 has stopped appearing.
5] Troubleshoot in a clean boot state
Some users have reported that performing a clean boot has helped them get rid of this error. You can also try doing that and see if the error is fixed. First, restart your PC in a clean boot state using the below steps:
- Firstly, press Win+R to evoke Run, type msconfig in the Open box, and hit the Enter button to launch the System Configuration window.
- In the newly appeared window, navigate the Services tab and make sure to checkmark the Hide all Microsoft services option to avoid disabling essential Microsoft services.
- Now,, select all the services and then disable all of then by pressing the Disable all button.
- Then, move to the Startup tab and click on the Open Task Manager button.
- You can now disable your startup programs from the opened Task manager window.
- Once done, go back to System Configuration and press the Apply > OK button to save changes.
- Lastly, reboot your computer and launch The Sims 4 to check if the error is resolved.
If the error is fixed, there are high chances that a software conflict is causing the error. So, you can try enabling software and services one by one and analyze the conflicting program. When done, you can uninstall the program or disable it temporarily.
6] Clear some space on your disk (for Xbox)
If the error is occurring on your Xbox One console, it might be the case that there is not enough space to save game progress. Thus, the game failed to save with error code 22. So, if the scenario is applicable, you can try clearing some space on your console and see if the error is resolved. You can delete some unused apps and games to make some space on your disk.
7] Install system updates on your Xbox console
You also need to make sure that your console is up-to-date in order to avoid errors like these. Else, you might face errors like these on games and apps.
To update Xbox console, press the Xbox button on your controller to open up the guide menu and click on the Profile & system > Settings option. After that, move to the System section and click on the Updates option. Now, from here, you can download & install available system updates on your Xbox console. Once done, reboot your console and launch The Sims 4 game to check if the error code 22 is fixed or not.
8] Delete Reserved Space (only on Xbox)
You might be dealing with a corrupted reserved space of the game on your console which is why the error is triggered. So, you can clear the revered space for the game and see if the error is fixed.
Note: Keep in mind that doing so will delete all the game modification downloads including mods and Creation Club content.
Here’s how you can delete the reserved space of The Sims 4 game on Xbox:
- First, go to the home screen of your Xbox console and move to the My games & apps section.
- Now, highlight The Sims 4 game and open its menu using the Options button on your controller.
- Next, select the Manage game & add-ons option and then move to Saved Data.
- After that, click on the Reserved Space option and then press the CLEAR RESERVED SPACE button.
- Once done, reboot your console and launch The Sims 4 to check if the error is gone.
In case none of the above solutions worked for you, try uninstalling and then reinstalling the game. Your game might have gone corrupted and thus the error. So, reinstalling the game should help you fix the error.
How do I fix Sims 4 update error?
If you can’t update The Sims 4 game on Origin and keep getting an error while updating the game, you might be dealing with broken game files. So, you can try repairing the game files and see if you are able to update The Sims 4 without any error os issue. Apart from that, you can also try enabling the Safe Mode Downloading option in Origin or clearing the corrupted Origin cache. The last resort to resolve the error is to reinstall the Origin client.