Synaptic Touchpad’s SynTPEnh.exe process has been crashing on some Windows computers. When using the system normally or after an update, Windows users have come across the SynTPEnh.exe Application Error. In this post, we will talk about the issue and see what should be done to resolve the Application Error for SynTPEnh.exe .
SynTPEnh.exe – Application Error
The instruction at Ox0000000140035964 referenced memory at Ox0000000000000010. The memory could not be read.
Click on OK to terminate the program.
Click on CANCEL to debug the program
What is SynTPEnh.exe?
SynTPEnh.exe is a genuine process of Synaptic Touchpad. It works alongside the touchpad drivers and gives it additional features. Usually, it will present at C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP. They will only be present on your laptop if it has IBM Touchpad.
Fix Application Error SynTPEnh.exe on Windows PC
If you get an Application Error in the SynTPEnh.exe process in Windows, follow the solutions mentioned below.
- Make sure that SynTPEnh Service is running
- Update Synaptics Driver
- Reinstall Synaptics Driver
- Troubleshoot in Clean Boot
Let us talk about them in detail.
1] Make sure that SynTPEnh Service is running
First of all, we need to make sure that SynTPEnh Service is up and running. By default, the service will be running, but since we are experiencing Application Error, it is a possibility that the service is stopped. In order to probe further, follow the steps given below.
- Open Services by searching it out of the Start Menu.
- Look for SynTPEnh service.
- If the Status is Running, move to the next solution, but if it is stopped, right-click on it and select Start.
Now, close Services and reboot your computer. Hopefully, now you won’t face an Application Error.
You can also Stop, Restart or Start Services using the Task Manager. Open the Services tab, right-click on the Service and you will see the available options.
2] Update Synaptics Drivers
Next up, let us update the installed drivers of the Synaptics touchpad. Updating drivers will resolve the issue if it is caused due to some kind of bug in the driver software. To do the same, follow the steps given below.
- Open Device Manager by Win + X > Device Manager.
- Look for Mouse and other pointing devices and expand it.
- Right-click on Synaptics Pointing Device and click on Update driver.
- Click on Search automatically for drivers.
You need to make sure that you are connected to the Internet as Windows will look for driver updates. In case, it finds a suitable update, it will be downloaded and then installed.
You can also download the Synaptics Touchpad driver from the manufacturer’s website and install it.
3] Reinstall Synaptics Driver
If updating drivers is to no avail, it is very possible that your driver is corrupted. The driver can get corrupted due to improper installation of the driver updates. We can reinstall the driver to resolve the issue. Follow the steps given below to do the same.
- Launch Device Manager.
- Expand the Mouse and other pointing devices option.
- Right-click Synaptics Pointing Device and click on Uninstall device.
- Click on Uninstall to confirm your action.
- Now, restart your computer, and hopefully, the driver will be reinstalled.
- In case, the driver is not installed, right-click on Mouse and other pointing devices and click on Scan for hardware changes. It will scan that a driver is absent and install the correct driver.
Hopefully, this will do the job for you.
4] Troubleshoot in Clean Boot
If nothing works, we will have to find out the third-party application that is causing the issue. There are multiple third-party applications and services that can conflict with the services of the touchpad and cause the issue. In order to find out which application it is, we will perform Clean Boot. Starting the system in a Clean Boot state will ensure that no non-Microsoft services are running in the background. We can then manually enable services to find out which application is the culprit. Then, delete the conflicting services to resolve the issue.
Hopefully, you can resolve the issue using the solutions mentioned in this post.
How to fix SynTPEnh.exe error?
If you get a SynTPEnh error, make sure that SynTPEnh and Windows Modules Installer Services, are running in the background. If the services are running fine, update the Synaptics Touchpad driver and run the System File Checker.