Are you facing the black screen problem with the Oculus Link software on Windows PC? Here are the solutions that will help you fix the problem.
Oculus Link is a desktop application that allows users to play Oculus Rift content on Quest 2. However, many Oculus users have reported of being experiencing a black screen whenever they try to launch a VR game. Some of the affected users even experienced the same problem amidst the gameplay. It just makes the entire application unusable. If you are struggling with the same problem, this guide is for you. In this guide, we are going to discuss the solutions that will help you fix the problem on your Windows PC.
What causes the black screen problem with Oculus software?
Before we move on to the fixes to resolve the problem, let us try to understand what may cause the black screen issues with Oculus software on Windows. Here are the possible reasons:
- The problem might be caused due to faulty and out-of-date graphics, USB, and other device drivers on your PC. If the scenario is applicable, you should try updating your device drivers and then check if the problem is fixed or not.
- In case you are using a higher resolution that might be too much for your rig, the black screen problem can occur. You should be able to fix the problem by lowering resolution settings from the Oculus Debug Tool wizard if and only the scenario is applicable.
- If you have enabled the in-game overlay feature in your graphics settings, it can be one of the reasons that you are encountering this problem. The in-game overlay is known to interru[t the normal working of games and programs. So, in that case, you should try disabling the feature and then see if the problem is fixed.
- The problem may occur if you have enabled the Public Test Channel feature in Oculus. If the scenario applies, try turning off the Public Test Channel which is meant to test the beta version of the software.
- You might be dealing with some underlying system file corruption that is causing the issue at hand. In that case, you can try running an SFC scan to fix the problem.
How do I fix the Oculus Link not working?
If Oculus Link is not working on your PC or laptop, try updating your graphics and other drivers. Other than that, you can try reducing the resolution from Oculus settings, disabling in-game overlay from your graphics card settings, or turning off Public Test Channel in Oculus. if that doesn’t work, you can also check by performing an SFC scan on your PC to get rid of the problem.
Now, without much ado, let get straight to the fixes!
Fix Oculus Link Black Screen or Not Working issues
Here are the methods that you can try to fix the black screen problem on Oculus Link or when it is not working while launching a VR game or during the gameplay:
- Make sure you have up-to-date device drivers.
- Lower the resolution.
- Turn off the in-game overlay.
- Opt out of Public Test Channel.
- Run an SFC scan.
Let us discuss the above solutions in detail now!
1] Make sure you have up-to-date device drivers
The problem that you experience black screen with Oculus Link might be triggered due to the faulty or outdated device drivers including graphics and USB drivers. Oculus devices need particular drivers that help in boosting the overall performance of VR games. So, the first thing you should do to fix the issue is to make sure that you have up-to-date graphics, USB drivers, and any other device driver required by Oculus Link.
You have multiple options to update your device drivers. The first method is the manual one where you can visit the official website of your device manufacturer and download the latest drivers and then install them on your system. Likewise, you can also use Windows Settings, Device Manager, etc., to manually update graphics drivers and other drivers on Windows 11/10.
Another way of updating device drivers is by downloading and installing a third-party driver updater software. They let you update your device drivers automatically. Just download and install any such software and they will detect and update out-of-date drivers on your system.
After updating your device drivers, try starting Oculus Link and see if the black screen issue is resolved now. In case it doesn’t, there might be some other underlying reason that you are receiving black screen issues with Oculus Link. Hence, move on to the next potential fix to resolve the problem.
2] Lower the resolution
You might be encountering the problem because of setting up the high resolution on your PC. In that case, you can try lowering your setting i.e., resolution. To do that, you can follow the below steps:
- First of all, unplug your Oculus Quest or Rift from your computer.
- Now, go to the installation directory of Oculus on your system. By default, you should find it at the below location:
- Next, open the Support > oculus-diagnostics folder and then double-click on the OculusDebugTool.exe file to run it.
- After that, in the Oculus Debug Tool window, lower the Encode Resolution Width setting. You can also enter a value as per recommendations by Oculus.
- Now, reboot your PC to apply changes, reboot your Oculus headset, and plug the headset back into your system.
Hopefully, this will fix the black screen problem with Oculus. In case it doesn’t, go ahead and try the next potential fix to get rid of the problem.
3] Turn off the in-game overlay
If the above solutions didn’t work for you, you can try disabling the in-game overlay which helps in running games and programs smoother than before. It is a kind of workaround and might work for you as well. So, try doing that using the below steps in the case of GeForce Experience:
- Firstly, open GeForce Experience and click on the cogwheel icon present at the top right corner.
- Now, go to the General tab and disable the toggle associated with the In-game overlay function.
- Next, reboot Oculus Link and VR devices to see if the problem is fixed or not.
In a similar manner, you can disable the in-game overlay feature for other graphics cards as well.
If you still face the black screen problem with Oculus Link, try the next solution.
4] Opt out of Public Test Channel
In case you have enrolled in Public Test Channel, Oculus Link might not work as intended and you end up encountering the black screen problem. It is basically the Beta version of the Oculus application which is available for testing by the general public. So, if the scenario is applicable, disable the Public Test Channel mode. Here is how to do that:
- Firstly, run the Oculus Link software.
- Now, if you manage to go to the Settings section from the left panel, move to the Beta tab.
- Next, disable the toggle associated with the Public Test Channel option.
- After that, relaunch Oculus Link and see if the problem is fixed now.
5] Run an SFC scan
If none of the above solutions work for you, there might be some system file corruption that is leading to the black screen problem with Oculus. If the scenario applies, you should be able to fix the problem by running a System File Checker (SFC) scan. It will basically fix all the corrupted, damaged, and missing system files and might help you fix the black screen problem with Oculus.
Here are the steps to run an SFC scan on Windows 11/10:
- Firstly, open the Command prompt with elevated privilege.
- Now, enter the below command in CMD:
- Next, wait for the scan done, see if the problem is fixed or not.
Hopefully, this method will fix the problem for you.
Why is my virtual desktop black?
You might have gotten a virtual desktop black screen due to timeout limitations for inactivity or your display settings. Besides that, it can also be caused because of a power or network interruption.
Does the Oculus Quest 2 come with a charger?
Yes, Oculus Quest 2 or Quest comes with a charger included in its box. To keep it in good working condition, you should always charge the headset with the charger that comes with it. Also, avoid charging when the headset is in use. Make sure you have plugged in the charger properly in case you are facing any trouble when charging your Oculus Quest 2 or Quest.