Although Edge browser allows users to choose a custom image for the new tab page background, if you want to disable image background types, here is how you can do that. It is possible to prevent users from choosing Image of the day, or Your own image, or both. You can do that using the REGEDIT and GPEDIT.
This tip can be useful in a corporate scenario. Different people use different settings and features to customize various things, including the new tab page of Edge. If you do not want to let others change the background image type, you can use this tutorial to choose a specific image type or disable all options at once.
Note: We have mentioned the Local Group Policy method as well as the Registry Editor method. If you are planning to follow the GPEDIT method, do add the Edge Group Policy Template first.
How to disable Image Background types for Edge New Tab page
To configure image background types for Edge new tab page, follow these steps-
- Press Win+R to open the Run prompt.
- Type gpedit.msc and hit the Enter button.
- Go to Startup, home page and new tab page in Computer Configuration.
- Double-click on Configure the background types allowed for the new tab page layout setting.
- Select the Enabled option.
- Choose an option from the New tab page experience drop-down list.
- Click the OK button.
To know more about these steps, keep reading.
At first, you have to open the Local Group Policy Editor on your computer. For that, press Win+R to display the Run prompt, type
gpedit.msc, and hit the Enter button. After opening this utility, navigate to the following path-
Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Classic Administrative Templates > Microsoft Edge > Startup, home page and new tab page
Here you can find a setting called Configure the background types allowed for the new tab page layout on your right-hand side.
Double-click on it and choose the Enabled option.
Now, expand the New tab page experience drop-down list, and choose one option accordingly-
- Disable all background image types
- Disable custom background image type
- Disable daily background image type
At last, click the OK button to save the change.
Like said earlier, it is possible to use the Registry Editor to set up the same thing on your Windows 10 computer. However, it is recommended to create a System Restore point before you follow the guide.
Configure Image Background types for Edge New Tab page
To enable or disable image background types for Edge new tab page, follow these steps-
- Search for regedit in the Taskbar search box.
- Click on the Registry Editor result.
- Click the Yes button.
- Navigate to Microsoft in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
- Right-click on Policies > New > Key.
- Name it as Edge.
- Right-click on Edge > New > DWORD (32-bit) Value.
- Name it as NewTabPageAllowedBackgroundTypes.
- Set the Value data as 1/2/3.
- Click the OK button.
To get started, you have to open the Registry Editor on your computer. To do so, press Win+R, type
regedit, hit the Enter button, and select the Yes option from the UAC popup window.
Next, you have to navigate to the following path-
You have to create a sub-key in the Microsoft key. For that, right-click on Microsoft, select New > Key, and name it as Edge.
Then, right-click on Edge, select New > DWORD (32-bit) Value, and name it as NewTabPageAllowedBackgroundTypes.
Following that, double-click on this REG_DWORD value to set the Value data as 1 or 2 or 3 according to your requirement.
- Disable all background image types: 3
- Disable custom background image type: 2
- Disable daily background image type: 1
At last, click the OK button to save all the changes.
After you are done with either guide, you/other users cannot change or use a certain image setting while trying to customize the new tab page.