If the DirectX setup could not download the file message keeps troubling you, then this post may help you. Microsoft DirectX is a collection of API’s for handling tasks related to multimedia, gaming, and other tasks that require media acceleration. But recently, some users have complained about issues with the DirectX Installation. The complete error message reads:
Setup could not download the file. Please retry later or check network connection.
Fortunately, you can follow these suggestions to fix this error.
Fix DirectX setup could not download the file, Please retry later or check network connection
To fix the DirectX setup could not download the file error update Visual C++ Redistributable and the .NET framework. These runtime files may be corrupted, and updating them may fix the error. However, if that doesn’t help, try using the Offline DirectX installer. Here is a list of all that you can do:
- Run Network Adapter Troubleshooter
- Run DirectX Diagnostics
- Update Visual C++ Redistributable
- Use .NET Framework Repair Tool
- Install .NET Framework via Command Prompt
- Temporarily disable Windows Firewall
- Use Offline DirectX Installer
Let’s now see these in detail.
1] Run Network Adapter Troubleshooter
Before getting started with different troubleshooting methods to fix this issue, try running Microsoft’s Automated Troubleshooting Services as a first step to diagnose and repair common Network issues. Here’s how:
- Press the Windows key + I to open Settings.
- Scroll down and click on Troubleshoot > Other Troubleshooters.
- Click on Run beside Network Adapter and follow the instructions on-screen.
2] Run DirectX Diagnostics
Using the DirectX Diagnostic Tool, users can troubleshoot DirectX-related issues. This tool can generate a dxdiag text report file with detailed information about your PC’s graphics, sound, etc. Run the DirectX Diagnostic Tool and see if the error gets fixed.
3] Update Visual C++ Redistributable
C++ Redistributable is a set of runtime library files that allows the usage of pre-developed code and allows installation for multiple apps. If its packages get deleted or corrupted, it can stop several programs from functioning correctly. In that case, you will need to install the required version again. Here’s how you can update Visual C++ Redistributable.
4] Use .NET Framework Repair Tool
The .NET Framework allows building and running applications on Windows. Setup and update issues with the framework can also cause DirectX setup could not download the file error on your Windows 11/10 computer. Run the .NET Framework Repair tool and check if it fixes the error.
5] Install .NET Framework via Command Prompt
The next step requires you to install the latest version of the .NET framework using the command prompt. To do so, we’ll be using the DISM service of Windows. Before getting started, ensure you’re connected to a stable internet connection. Here’s how:
- Open Command Prompt as an Administrator.
- Type the following command and hit Enter.
DISM /Online /Enable-Feature /FeatureName:NetFx3 /All /LimitAccess /Source:D:sourcessxs
- Once the command executes, restart your device and see if you are able to download files via DirectX setup.
6] Temporarily disable Windows Firewall
Windows Defender Firewall sometimes makes your PC’s processes malfunction. Turn it off and check if it fixes the DirectX setup download error. Here is how you can do it:
- Click on Start, search for Windows Defender Firewall and select Open.
- Click on Turn Windows Defender Firewall on or off in the left pane.
- Now, check the option that says Turn off Windows Defender Firewall under both Private and Public network settings.
- Click on Ok to save the changes.
7] Use Offline DirectX Installer
If none of these suggestions helped you, try using the Offline DirectX installer. It will help install the missing DirectX files on your Windows PC. This has been known to help most users fix the issue.
Read: How to delete DirectX Shader Cache in Windows
We hope this post helped you.
How do I know if my DirectX is corrupted?
To check if DirectX works correctly on your device, open the run dialog box, type dxdiag and hit Enter. This will open the DirectX Diagnostic Tool; you can check the status here. If the diagnostic tool doesn’t open, there may be an error with Windows installation files, and you’ll have to perform a system recovery.