Are you unable to join a server on Discord? Discord is a VoIP and instant messaging service that allows you to communicate through voice calls, video calls, text messaging, and file sharing. It allows people to create servers to let users having the same interest interact with each other in groups. Users can join a Discord server using the invite link or code sent by the server owner. But, some users have complained that they just can’t join a Discord server even after multiple tries. Now, if you are facing the same issue, here is a complete guide that will help you get rid of the problem.
Why can’t I join the Discord server?
There can be different reasons why you are unable to join a Discord server. Here are the potential causes:
- The problem is most likely to occur if the invite link to join the server is invalid or expired. So, cross-check your invite link and make sure it is valid.
- It can be caused if the server owner has revoked the invite link.
- If you are banned from Discord or a particular Discord server, you won’t be able to join the Discord server. Hence, ensure that you are not banned from joining the server causing the issue.
- In case you have reached the maximum number of servers limit, you will face the problem at hand. If the scenario is applicable, leave some servers to join new ones.
- It might also happen due to a corrupted Discord cache. Hence, try clearing the Discord cache folders and see if the problem is gone.
Based on the above scenarios, you can apply a suitable fix to resolve the issue.
Can’t join Discord Server
If you are unable to join a Discord server on your PC, you can use the below fixes to resolve the issue:
- Cross-check the invitation link or code.
- Make sure you are not banned from joining the server.
- Try leaving some servers.
- Delete the Discord cache.
- Try a VPN.
1] Cross-check the invitation link or code
The first thing you should do when you can’t join a Discord server is double-checking the invitation link. It might be the case that the invitation link that is sent to you to join a server is expired. And thus, you are not able to join the Discord server.
Server owners can customize the Discord invites while sending them out. They can set up an expiration date for their invitation link. It can be 30 minutes, 1 day, 1 week, or never. In case the server owner hasn’t configured any expiration duration for their invitation link, it will be invalid after 24 hours by default.
There are also chances that the invitation link you are trying to open has exceeded that maximum number of uses limit. Server owners can also customize and set up the maximum number of uses allowed to open their invitation link. So, if you are clicking on the link that has passed the maximum number of users, you won’t be able to join the server.
Additionally, the server’s owner might have revoked your invite link. In the server settings, there is an option using which a server owner can revoke the invitation link from the active invites list. This is why it might have become invalid and you can’t join the server.
In case you find out that the invitation link to join the Discord server is expired or invalid, there is nothing you can do to fix it. All you can do is contact the server owner and ask him/ her to send a fresh link to join the Discord server.
Also, if you are using an invitation code to join the server, make sure you have entered the exact code. As the invitation code to join a server is case-sensitive, you must double-check the code and ensure that it is used as it is.
If the invitation link is valid and you are still not able to join the Discord server, move on to the next potential fix to resolve the issue.
Read: Fix Discord Connection issues on Windows PC.
2] Make sure you are not banned from joining the server
If the above scenario doesn’t suit you, there are chances that you are banned from joining the Discord server, which is why you are unable to join the server. Now, you might be banned from a particular server or from the entire Discord service.
Discord can ban you due to various reasons. For example, in a general scenario, you can get banned if you don’t follow the Terms of Service or Community Guidelines. Other reasons for the same might include using a suspicious IP address, spreading spam, etc. If you are banned from a single server, it might be the case that you have violated the rules configured by the server owner like using curse words, offensive behavior, etc.
Now, when you are banned from Discord, your IP address along with your account is banned. So, if you are trying to join a Discord server from a different device while connected to the same router, you won’t be able to join.
Hence, you will be required to contact your server administrator and request them to unban you. When the ban is lifted, you will be able to join the Discord server using the invite link. You can even try using a proxy server and see if it helps you join the Discord server when banned.
If you are not banned from joining the Discord server, you can move on to the next potential fix to resolve the problem.
See: Discord won’t open or Stuck on Connecting screen.
3] Try leaving some servers
You might have reached the server limit and thus, you can’t join another Discord server. As per Discord policy, there is a particular number of servers that a user can join at a time. You can join a maximum of 100 servers on Discord at once. In case you have exceeded the limit, you won’t be able to join any further servers. This might be the case if you are receiving the Invite Invalid error while joining a server.
Now, if the scenario is applicable, you can check the number of servers you are currently connected to. If the limit is exceeded, leave some servers that you don’t use anymore or the servers you are unlikely to use. To do so, you can follow the below steps:
- First, open the Discord app.
- Now, from the server list, select the one you want to leave and press the drop-down arrow button.
- Next, click on the Leave Server option from the appeared menu options.
- After that, confirm your choice on the next prompt by choosing the Leave Server option and the server will be removed from your list.
- You can now try joining another Discord server and see if the problem is fixed.
If you still face the same issue, you can try the next solution to resolve it.
RELATED: Can’t log in to Discord? Fix Discord login problems.
4] Delete the Discord cache
The PC users can try clearing their Discord cache from their computers to fix the issue. In a few instances, problems like these can be triggered because of corrupted cache data. Hence, if the scenario applies, deleting the Discord cache should help you resolve the problem. Here’s how you can do that:
- Firstly, press the Windows + R shortcut key to evoke the Run dialog box.
- After that, type %appdata%\discord in the Open box and press the Enter button to open the location in File Explorer.
- Next, locate the Cache, Code Cache, and GPUCache folders and choose these folders.
- Now, press the Delete button on your keyboard to clear the above Discord cache folders.
- Lastly, reopen Discord and see if you are able to join the Discord server or not.
If the issue still persists, try the next potential fix.
Read: Fix Discord Console Log errors on Windows computer.
5] Try a VPN
If none of the above solutions worked for you, try using a VPN service and see if it fixes the problem for you. It will help you bypass internet restrictions that might be causing the problem at hand.
See: Fix You are being rate limited Discord error on Windows PC.
Can Discord ban you from joining any servers?
Yes, Discord can ban your account if you violate the company’s ToS. If you are banned, you won’t be able to join any Discord server.
How do I know if I am banned from a Discord server?
There is no direct way to tell that you are banned from a Discord server. However, you can contact the server owner and ask them if you are banned from their server. They will let you know if you are banned or not.
How long do Discord server bans last?
The server bans last as long as the moderator/ owner wants. There are basically two types of bans, Kick and Ban. When you are kicked out of a server, your account is removed, but you can join later. However, in Ban, you won’t be able to join the server until the owner unbans you.