Given how important computers have become for us, we may ever so often feel the need to customize them to our liking, be it with our favorite programs, or cluttering the screen with the colors of our choice. Luckily for Windows users, Microsoft provides a plethora of options to do so. Today, I will be guiding you through the process of changing the color of your Windows 10 PC’s taskbar and some possible reasons as to why you may be unable to do so.
How to change the Taskbar color on Windows 10
The process to do so is very straightforward and doesn’t require the user to install any third-party apps. All you have to do is follow the steps below:
- Click on the Start option from the taskbar and head over to Settings.
- From the group of options, click on Personalization.
- On the left side of the screen, you’ll be presented with a list of settings to choose from; click on Colors.
- In the dropdown ‘Choose your Color,’ you’ll find three settings; Light, Dark, or Custom.
- The light option is the default, but in order to change your taskbar’s color, you have to choose either Dark or Custom.
- With the Light option selected, you’ll find the option to change the taskbar’s color greyed out upon scrolling down.
You can click on Dark, but the preferred setting is Custom since it paves the way for further customization.
- After selecting Custom, you will get two further color options, one for Windows and the other for apps.
- Choosing dark in the Windows mode is mandatory, while either light or dark would work for the apps.
- Scroll down and pick a color of your choice from the color palette.
- You can also add a custom color if any of the given colors don’t fit your bill.
- You can choose to show the accent color on the taskbar by checking the box that says ‘Start, Taskbar and action center.’
You can customize your background and have your taskbar pick up a color from it. You can also disable the Transparency effects to further enhance the color you’ve chosen for your taskbar.
Can’t change the taskbar color on Windows 10
In case you’re unable to change the color of your taskbar even after following the aforementioned steps, you may have to perform the tasks mentioned below too.
Switch the color filters off
Microsoft’s color filters are meant to making photo and video viewing experiences better and more convenient for its users. This, may, however, conflict with the user’s color scheme of choice. In this case, you would have to turn the color filters off. Here’s how you can do so:
- Go to settings and click on Ease to Access
- From the list of options under ‘Vision,’ click on Color filters.
- In case your taskbar colors aren’t showing even after setting them up to do so, it may be because your device’s color filters are on, and if it is the case, turn them off.
Below is a picture to depict the impact Color Filters have on the color of your taskbar. As you can see, a considerably bright blue color can turn into a very dense grey.
Change the Windows theme
Sometimes, one may use a third-party theme and that may interfere with the user’s color settings. In such a scenario, the user would have to resort to Microsoft’s default theme, the process for which is pretty simple too.
- Click on settings and open Personalization.
- Scroll down and apply the Windows theme.
- Restart your PC if the theme isn’t instated immediately.
If the issue persists, it may be because you have enabled the accent color to be set automatically or your device has a bug, in which case you would have to get it checked.
I hope this was able to help you customize your taskbar to your liking.