Was it after installing an update of the Windows built-in Camera app or was it after upgrading my Windows 8 Pro to Windows 8 Pro with Media Center, I have no idea, but suddenly one fine day, when I started the Camera app, I was taken aback when I received the following error message: The Camera app can’t be used with this version of Windows. Well, that made me wonder… did the upgrade to Windows 8 Pro with Media Center stop the app from working? Most likely!
The Camera app can’t be used with this version of Windows
I tried the following troubleshooting steps to fix the app, after creating a system restore point first. Hopefully one of them will work for you too:
3. Uninstall the app and then reinstall it. You may if you wish, also try a clean Uninstall of the app using PowerShell.
4. Rollback your Camera or Video Driver/s and see if it helps. Open Device Manager > Settings > Display Adapter > Right-click Properties > Roll Back Driver. When you use the Roll Back Driver button, Windows will uninstall the most recently updated driver and roll back your configuration, to the earlier version. Quite helpful to roll back a driver if you find that your device fails after updating the driver or making changes to the system. If you wish, you could uninstall the driver for your graphics card and use the Windows generic driver instead. If the changes are not to your expectations, you could always restore back to the created system restore point.
5. Update your Camera and Video drivers and see if it helps you. Note down the manufacturer of your computer along with the model number and visit the manufacturer’s website. Try to find the latest Driver for your system and download and install it.
Hope something helps!
- Camera Roll folder missing in Windows 10.
- This app needs your permission to use your camera on Windows.