Do you have a large file you want to compress? Or maybe you have a collection of files you want to mail someone? You can use compression software to achieve both, If you are a Windows 10/8/7 user, then you have some good options, as there are many good freeware file compression utilities available. File compression is a process that converts a file or a set of files to a specific format, after reducing its size/s. File compression utilities, pack your folders and files in a single file that is easy to carry, which is also reduced in size.
At times you may receive an error Windows cannot complete the extraction. It at such times too that you can use third-party file compression & extraction software. Let us take a look at the best three file compression utilities.
Free File Compression Software for Windows 10
1. 7-Zip : 7-Zip is a free and open-source file manager, file archiver, and more. It operates on the 7z format and it can read and write many other format. It has been one of the free best file compression utility available. 7-Zip is full of features, and the formats supported list just goes on. The 7-zip file manager can read most of the archiving formats.
7-Zip supports 7z, XZ, BZIP2, GZIP, TAR, ZIP, WIM, ARJ, CAB, CHM, CPIO, CramFS, DEB, DMG, FAT, HFS, ISO, LZH, LZMA, MBR, MSI, NSIS, NTFS, RAR, RPM, SquashFS, UDF, VHD, WIM, XAR, Z and more.
2. PeaZip : PeaZip is also a free and open-source file manager and compression utility available for Windows and Linux OS. PeaZip is primarily targeted at file compression. Like 7-Zip, it also runs on its file format that is the PEA archive format – but it also supports most of the other file formats. The application has a nice interface that is easy to use. The other features are archive conversion, file splitting and joining, secure file deletion, byte-to-byte file comparison, archive encryption, checksum/hash files, find duplicate files, system benchmarking, random passwords/keyfiles generation and more.
PeaZip supports up to 130 file formats that include ACE, ARJ, CAB, DMG, ISO, LHA, RAR, UDF, ZIPX, and more.
3. IZArc : IZArc is a freeware utility that lets you create, extract, or repair an archive. IZArc supports many of the formats, and it comes with many features that enhance your file compression experience. The drag and drop function works well, and the other features such as – Create a self-extracting archive, Virus scan feature, Repair broken archives, etc.
IZArc supports 7-ZIP, A, ACE, ARC, ARJ, B64, BH, BIN, BZ2, BZA, C2D, CDI, CAB, CPIO, DEB, ENC, GCA, GZ, GZA, HA, IMG, ISO, JAR, LHA, LIB, LZH, MBF, MDF, MIM, NRG, PAK, PDI, PK3, RAR, RPM, TAR, TAZ, TBZ, TGZ, TZ, UUE, WAR, XXE, YZ1, Z, ZIP, ZOO.
If you’d like to share your experiences with these free file compression utilities, or if you know of any other good ones’, please do share them below in the comments section.
These links may also interest you:
- WobZIP is a free online compression tool that lets you compress your files when on the move
- CabPack lets you create CAB files.
TIP: If you receive The compressed (zipped) folder is invalid message, then I’d like to recommend these free zip file repair software.