You can now download WinZip app for Windows 8, 32-bit and 64-bit, free from the Windows Store. The app when launched in November last year was priced at USD 7.99, but is now available as a free download.
WinZip for Windows 8 free download
WinZip for Windows 8 promises to give you more compression power, more sharing options and is much easier to use. It allows you to open and save zip and zipx file formats. You can password-protect important info with military-grade encryption. If you want to squeeze files even more, you can do so with the exclusive zipx compression format.
One great new feature is that it now offers support for SkyDrive, Dropbox and Google Drive cloud services.
You now have direct connections to ZipSend and ZipShare file sharing services, thereby allowing you to send over-sized files to friends, contacts and followers through email, as well as Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter.
Features in a nutshell:
- Compress large files, entire folders or archives for faster transfer and to save space on your system.
- Open and save .zip and .zipx files
- Send large files by email by zipping your attachments first or by using the integrated ZipSend file delivery service
- Securely share any type of file and rich content on Facebook using seamless integration with ZipShare
- Secure confidential files with WinZip’s military-grade encryption
- Use the Windows 8 ‘Share’ charm to deliver zipped files to your contacts through email, social media or other apps
- Securely send files to mobile devices with WinZip’s password protection.
Go get WinZip for Windows 8 here. The Windows Store page clearly states that it is “Free” and not “Free Trial” etc – which means that it is now completely free!
UPDATE: Under the first paragraph titled “Description”, click Read More. It now reads: Start with a 15-day free trial and then subscribe for just $7.99/year”. So its Not Free. You may want to look at some file compression software instead here, if you wish. Please read the comments.