A cloud-based antivirus software does not store the virus definitions on your Windows computer. Rather than using your computer’s processing power, this cloud based antivirus sends data about potentially malicious files to the company’s servers for analysis. This approach is intended to take advantage of the latest signatures without the need for signature-database updates.
Free Cloud based Antivirus
A Cloud Antivirus is an antivirus software that stores its definitions on the cloud – ie on the company’s own servers. As a result of this, they do not occupy much disk space. They are also fast and do not consume much resources.
One question which could arise in a users mind is that would he or she be still protected when not connected to the Internet?
“Yes, you do not need to be connected to the Internet all the time in order to be protected. Cloud Antivirus stores a “local cache copy” of Collective Intelligence for offline operation. As soon as you disconnect, Cloud Antivirus still works in the background, checking every file against its local cache of detections. This local cache includes, amongst other things, detection for all malware files which are currently in circulation and affecting users.”
Currently, Panda and Immunet are two good cloud antivirus software, currently available for Windows.
Panda Free Cloud Antivirus
Features of Panda:
- Behavioural blocking. Proactive, signature-less, protection against malicious actions typically used by malware. Generic blocking of malicious PDF/DOC/XLS/PPT/WMV/etc. droppers. Compatible with both 32 and 64bit Windows Operating Systems.
- Behavioral analysis (PRO only). Runtime analysis and blocking of running processes. Compatible with 32bits Operating Systems as well as for 32bit processes under 64bit systems.
- Advanced configuration. Ability to turn on/off and tweak the behaviour of the different engines, cloud responses, advanced logging, recycle bin settings, exclusions, etc.
- Self-protection of the AV processes and configurations.
- Re-do detections that were previously un-done so that they are detected again.
- And more
Cloud Antivirus from Panda is now called Panda Free Antivirus. This Cloud Antivirus is compatible with other antivirus software and is available in two flavors: Free Edition and Pro.
Immunet Free Cloud Antivirus
There is also another cloud based antivirus security software, Immunet Protect, now available, which gives you a fast, extra layer of protection that won’t slow down your PC.
Features of Immunet:
- Fast Antivirus: Immunet leverages the speed of cloud computing to deliver real-time protection to your PC
- Light Antivirus: Immunet is up to 35 times lighter than traditional anti virus solutions
- Real-time Antivirus: Immunet provides cloud-based protection that is always up-to-date against viruses, spyware, bots, worms, trojans, and keyloggers without slowing down your PC. No need to download any virus signature files!
- Companion Antivirus: Immunet is compatible with existing anti-virus products to help protect you better. Add an extra, lightweight layer of protection for free
- Community Antivirus: Immunet’s Collective Immunity™ technology protects all users the instant that a virus is detected on one PC
- You need to be connected to the Internet to get the protection.
Immunet Protect is compatible with existing antivirus and you can install it as a second companion antivirus too! It too is available in two flavors: Free Edition and Plus. Get it here.
Have any of you tried any cloud-based antivirus? If so, please do share – love to hear your experience!