Microsoft has a huge line up of paid software, but it also has lots of high quality software that are available for free to use. Here is my list of top 5 must have free software from Microsoft.
Free Microsoft Downloads
1. Microsoft Security Essentials: It is a free security suite (Genuine Windows validation required) developed by Microsoft to protect your Windows based computer from viruses, spyware and other malicious software. It is available to download from Microsoft and very simple to install, easy to use, and always kept up to date so you can be assured your PC is protected by the latest technology. To know more how it works, see its FAQ, help and how to’s section. Speaking of anti-malware tools from Microsoft, you can also consider Microsoft Safety Scanner and Malicious Software Removal Tool.
2. Windows Live Essentials: Do more with Windows on your PC with free programs from Microsoft for photos, movies, instant messaging, email, social networking, and more. Get it all in one simple download package. The Live Essentials app suite contains Windows Live Mail, Windows Live Messenger, Movie Maker, Windows Live Writer, Family Safety and many more. A must have suite for Internet users.
3. Microsoft SysInternals: The Sysinternals is a pack of more than 20 troubleshooting Utilities rolled up into a single Suite of tools. It is a zipped folder contains the individual troubleshooting tools and help files. SysInternals are my personal favorites when it comes to tweak and monitor a Windows PC.
4. Bing Maps 3D: Bing Map3 3D is an additional app which installs on your PC and let you view Bing Maps in 3D. It is pretty amazing and the rendering quality is just awesome, I prefer is over Google Maps. You can read step by step Bing Maps 3D installation and troubleshooting guide here.
5. Microsoft USB/DVD Download tool: If you have a TechNet or MSDN subscription or purchased a software from Microsoft Store, then there is an option to download the iso file of Windows is available. This tool lets you make bootable USB drive or DVD disc easily to install Windows OS in your computer. It also let you make autoplay DVD or USB flash drives of software like Visual Studio 2010 or other applications. Click the link to get details about installation process and other how to’s.
These are my personal favourites. What are yours?
Update: You can also download Expression Design, Expression Web & Expression Encoder free – as well as Visual Studio Community Edition free!