If you are a regular Windows 7 | 8 sticky notes user, you might find these tips & tricks to use, format, backup and restore handy. It also tells you how to turn the Sticky Note delete confirmation box, back on, in case you have turned it off earlier.
- To open a new Sticky Note, type sticky in start search and hit Enter.
- To change its size, drag it from its bottom right corner.
- To change its color, right click the note and then click the color you want.
- To create a new sticky note, click on the ‘+‘ sign in its top left corner.
- To close a sticky note, right click on its taskbar icon and select ‘Close window’.
- To delete a sticky note click on the ‘x‘ mark in its top right corner.
Once its running and you start making notes, you can use the following keyboard shortcut keys to format its text:
Select the text where required, and then press the desired keys:
1. Bold: Ctrl+B
2. Italics: Ctrl+I
3. Underline: Ctrl+U
4. Strikethrough: Ctrl+T
5. Bullet list: Ctrl+Shift+L
6. Increase size of text: Ctrl+Shift+>
7. Decrease size of text: Ctrl+Shift+<
8. See the options when you press Ctrl+Shift+L each time (1 to 5 times).eg. To get Roman numerals: Press 5 times, Ctrl+Shift+L.
9. Capitalize (or otherwise) highlighted letters: Ctrl+Shift+A
10. Right Align : Ctrl+R
11. Center align: Ctrl+E
12. Left Align: Ctrl+L
13. Single line space: Ctrl+1
14. Double line space: Ctrl+2
15. 1.5 line space: Ctrl+5
Ctrl+A, Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V, etc of course work as usual. Know any more? Do share below in the comments!
Backup and Restore Sticky Notes.
You can backup the Windows 7 Sticky Notes by backing up this file to another location : C:\Users\ACK\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Sticky Notes\StickyNotes.snt . You may have to show hidden/system files via the Folder Options. To restore it, delete the sticky notes from your desktop and copy paste the backed up one into the C:\Users\ACK\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Sticky Notes folder
How To Retrieve Back The Lost Notes, After Closing Windows Vista’s Sidebar Notes Gadget may interest some Vista users.
How to turn the Sticky Note delete warning back on.
If you have at any point, on selecting delete, opted to NOT have the confirmation box show up again, by selecting Don’t Display this message again, and would now like to get this delete confirmation box, here is the way to do it.
Open Registry Editor and navigate to the following key :
Now delete the value called PROMPT_ON_DELETE or set its value to 1.
How to minimize Windows Sticky Notes to your notification area and Sticky Notes alternatives may also interest you.
If you have any questions, please address them to TWC Forum thread on Sticky Notes.