If you receiveerror There was a problem sending the command to the program on Excel, Word, Internet Explorer in Windows 8 | 7, while using desktop shortcuts, internet links, etc, then this article will help you.
There was a problem sending the command to the program
You might get this error message while click on Desktop shortcuts, Internet links, opening Word or Excel documents, etc.
Most of the times setting Internet Explorer as default web browser will fix the problem.
- Open Internet Explorer
- Go to Tools and click on Internet Options
- Then click on Programs Tab
- Then Click on “Make Default”
If that does not resolve your problem then we might need to reset IE settings.
It’s also reported that this error is faced when we are try to open Excel or Word documents as well.
To fix that issue we have to change Dynamic Data Exchange or DDE setting.
In Excel 2010:
- Open Excel go to File and Click on Options
- Then click on advance
- Uncheck on Ignore other applications that use Dynamic Data Exchange (DDE)
- Then restart Excel (or Word).
Hope it helps!
If it doesn’t help, then our author Kapil Arya has another suggestion:
Windows provides several methods for transferring data between applications, Dynamic Data Exchange (DDE) protocol is one of them. The DDE protocol is a set of messages and guidelines. It sends messages between applications that share data and uses shared memory to exchange data between applications. The components inside Microsoft‘s productivity suite, i.e. Office uses the DDE protocol.
If disabling DDE via the UI does not work for you, try the following method using Windows Registry.
1. Press Windows Key + R combination, type put Regedt32.exe in Run dialog box and hit Enter to open the Registry Editor.
2. Navigate here:
3. In the left pane, export the ddeexec key by highlighting the key and click File -> Export. After exporting it to convenient place, you can right click over the same key and select Delete:
After deleting the key, you can close the Registry Editor. After a reboot, you would be no longer getting the error.
If you face this problem when you click on any program shortcut, you might want to consider deleting the old shortcut and creating a new one in its place. This is known to work many a times.