Some PC gamers reported that when they try to download or launch any game using the EA Desktop app on their Windows 11 or Windows 10 gaming PC, they receive the Your files need repairing message promptly. If you’re facing a similar problem, then this post is intended to help you with solutions you can apply to fix the problem on your system.
Your files need repairing
It seems your game files have been corrupted. Kick off a
repair so you can get back to your game.
Your files need repairing — EA app error
If you get a message prompt stating that Your files need repairing when you try to perform certain tasks in the EA app like downloading or launching any game on your Windows 11/10 gaming rig, then below, presented in no particular order are our recommended solutions that you can apply to resolve the issue on your computer.
- Initial checklist
- Use the Steam client
- Verify the integrity of game files
- Run CHKDSK
- Troubleshoot in the Clean Boot state
- Reinstall the EA app/Origin client and the game
Let’s look at the description of the process as it relates to each of the listed solutions.
1] Initial checklist
Before you proceed, try performing the same task as with the EA app but using the Origin launcher/client (If you need to install Origin for Windows, you can download it at dm.origin.com/download and if the same issue occurs, then apply the solutions below in both cases.
2] Use the Steam client
As you’re getting the Your files need repairing message in the EA app and Origin client on your Windows 11/10, as a possible workaround, you can use the Steam client for your games. If this solves your problem, then good, otherwise continue with the next solution.
3] Verify the integrity of game files
Here you can also repair the game in Origin by following these steps:
- Firstly, launch the Origin client on your PC.
- Now, navigate to the My Game Library section.
- After that, find the problematic game and press the right-click on it.
- Next, from the appeared context menu, choose the Repair option and let it verify and fix the game files.
- When done, check if you can play your game without a problem or not.
4] Run CHKDSK
This solution requires you to run CHKDSK by following the steps below and see if that helps you.
- Press the Windows key + R to invoke the Run dialog.
- In the Run dialog box, type cmd and then press CTRL + SHIFT + ENTER to open Command Prompt in elevated mode.
- In the command prompt window, type the command below and hit Enter.
chkdsk g: /x /f /r
- /f switch tells CHKDSK to fix any errors detected.
- /r switch Identifies Bad Sectors and attempts recovery and restores readable information.
- /x switch forces the drive to be unmounted before the process starts.
- g: represents the letter for the drive you want to check for errors.
You will receive the following message:
CHKDSK cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N).
Tap the Y key on the keyboard and then reboot your computer to let CHKDSK check and fix the errors on the computer’s hard drive.
After CHKDSK completes, check to see if the issue is resolved. If not, continue with the next fix.
5] Troubleshoot in the Clean Boot state
Unnecessary system and cache files, processes, and services present or running on your computer can trigger this error. In this case, you can troubleshoot in the Clean Boot state and see if the issue at hand is resolved. Otherwise, try the next solution. If the software/game runs smoothly in the Clean Boot state, then you may need to manually enable one process after the other and see which is the offender that creates problems for you. Once you have identified it, you must disable it or uninstall the software that uses this culprit process.
6] Reinstall the EA app/Origin client and the game
if nothing works, you can reinstall the EA app/Origin client and the game and see if that helps.
Any of these solutions should work for you!
How long does it take for EA to repair the game?
Fixing the game with all packs takes roughly 10 minutes with a good processor and a fresh speed disk. On an older, slower type of disk, fixing a game can take up to twice as long. The quality of the computer affects speed.
What causes corrupted game files?
When there is a problem with the save procedure, file corruption frequently occurs. The file that is being saved will probably be corrupted if your computer crashes. Another factor could be malware and virus-infected storage media or damaged portions of your hard drive.