If your Windows 10 Upgrade or Install hangs or has failed, during installation, then this post will help you troubleshoot the issue. For some, the Windows 10 upgrade process has been a pretty smooth affair. For others, there have been several issues. Some during installation and others during activation.
Windows 10 Upgrade or Install hangs
There is a small set of users who have faces issues during the upgrade or installation process itself. The Windows 10 upgrade hangs for them.
There are several things that will decide the speed of your upgrade. It could be:
- Your hardware specification
- Processor power
- Disk space available
- Hard disk read-write speeds
- Amount of data on your PC that is required to be backed up and most importantly,
- The speed of your Internet connection.
There have been reports that the upgrade process has even taken all of 24 hours! At times, you may even see a message – Taking longer than usual but it should be ready soon, Don’t turn off PC.
The point to note is – Is your machine looking dead? Or is it making some noise? Is the device’s light flickering or flashing? If so, then it is best to wait.
It’s taking a bit longer than expected
Microsoft has detailed a few points in particular, where the Windows 10 upgrade process may appear to hang:
- At 30-39% : At the black screen with a blue circle. Here Windows 10 is still downloading all dynamic updates for Windows 10
- At 96%: Windows 10 is busy backing up your data
- At message: It’s taking a bit longer than usual to set up your device, but it should be ready soon. Things are just about done.
Well the only suggestions one can give for those facing such problems is to wait. Wait for a while a let the process finish. Apart from this, another suggestion is that if the upgrade seems sluggish, disconnect any USB devices and extended display cables that may be connected. This is expected to speed up the download and upgrade process significantly.
This post will guide you if you are unable to upgrade to Windows 10.
Let us know if this helped you or if you have any other observations to make.