The Tablet Mode on Windows 10 device was introduced to make Windows 10 more user-friendly on 2-in-1 devices like the Surface Pro and the Surface Book. However, If your Windows 10 is stuck in Tablet Mode and can’t turn off tablet mode, these fixes will make sure to resolve the problem right away.
Tablet mode is useful when you are using the display alone. However, when you need to use a keyboard, it disappears automatically. Even then some users have been reporting that they are not able to exit the Tablet Mode.
Windows 10 stuck in Tablet Mode
The glitch where consumers are not able to exit the Tablet Mode can be fixed using the below-mentioned solutions.
- Check the Full-screen setting
- Perform Full Shutdown
- Perform two-button restart on Surface devices
- Disable Tablet Mode via Registry
- Perform System Restore
- Change settings in System Tab or the Action Center
1] Check the Full-screen setting
- Press the WINKEY + I button combination to open the Windows 10 Settings App.
- Navigate to the following path: Personalization > Start.
- Scroll down to toggle off the option – Use Start Full Screen.
- Reboot your computer and check if your issues still exist.
If the problem stays even after you disable Tablet Mode in Windows 10 in the settings, let’s move on to the next solution.
2] Perform Full Shutdown
Open CMD as Administrator and execute the following command-
shutdown /s /f /t 0
It will immediately shut down your computer. Once it’s turned off, wait for a minute before turning it on again.
3] Perform Two-button restart on Surface Devices
- Press and hold the Power button for about 30 seconds
- Release your button after 30 seconds
- After that, press and hold the volume up + power button for 20 seconds
- The display will flash a few times, but you need to keep holding those buttons pressed
- It will turn off your Surface device
After a few minutes, turn your Surface device on again. It should fix your issue.
4] Disable Tablet Mode via Registry
In the Start Menu, search for “Registry Editor.” Select Registry Editor and open by selecting “Open as Administrator.”
Once Registry Editor opens, navigate to the following key-
Right-click on the DWORD entry named as SignInMode. Double click on it and set its Value data to be 1 and Base to be Hexadecimal.
Click on OK.
This makes sure that you are signed in to the desktop mode when you log in to your account.
Now, right-click on the DWORD entry named as TabletMode. Double click on it and set its Value data to be 0 and Base to be Hexadecimal
Click on OK.
Reboot your computer for the changes to take effect.
5] Perform System Restore
Type sysdm.cpl in the Start search box and hit Enter. Select the tab labeled as System Protection and then choose the System Restore. Follow the on-screen instructions to restore your computer to a prior good point.
6] Change settings in System Tab or the Action Center
- Open Settings App
- Navigate to System > Tablet Mode.
- Scroll down to set the When I sign in to be Use desktop mode.
- Reboot your computer and check for the issue.
Also, you can try to toggle off the Tablet Mode for the Action Center. Post this, check if Windows 10 stuck in Tablet Mode or you are back to standard Desktop.
I hope one of these solutions helped you get out of the Tablet Mode in Windows 10. Let us know in the comments.
- Tags: Tablet