The wfs.exe is a built-in file in Windows PCs that allows you to send and receive faxes. It also scans and saves documents and images on your computer. It is a very important component of the Windows Fax and Scan (WFS) feature in the user’s system. In this article, we cover how to fix the wfs.exe file missing error that affects how your PC works and interacts with fax, documents, and images.
The WFS feature cannot function properly if the wfs.exe is missing in their operating system. They might be able to scan documents and images or send or receive fax messages. This can adversely affect individuals and businesses that rely on the fax and scan feature of Windows 11/10.
Windows cannot find ‘C:\WINDOWS\system32\wfs.exe’. Make sure you typed the names correctly, and then try again.
If the wfs.exe file is missing from your computer, the best way to fix this is by restoring it. We will look at different ways to restore the file, repair it or download it if it’s completely missing from your OS.
WFS.exe is missing or not found on Windows 11/10
If the wfs.exe file is missing or not found on your Windows 11/10 computer, apply the solutions mentioned below:
- Repair corrupted system files using SFC
- Copy the wfs.exe file from another Windows PC
- Check if Windows Fax and Scan feature is installed
Let us now look at each of the solutions in detail.
1] Repair corrupted system files using SFC
To fix the missing wfs.exe file, use the Command Prompt to run System File Checker. This finds and repairs system files that are damaged or corrupted. The scan commands run throughout the entire system to look for such files to repair. Here is how to run SFC on Command Prompt:
To run the SFC scan, use the steps below:
- Type cmd on the search box and click Run as administrator.
- Type the following command on the Command Prompt window and press Enter to start the scan:
- Wait for the process to complete and then restart your computer
This should help.
2] Copy the wfs.exe file from another Windows PC
If the wfs.exe is missing from your computer, you can fix this by transferring a wfs.exe file from a computer that has it to yours. To do this, you will need to have a flash drive or a removable memory card. Use the following steps to copy the wfs.exe file from one computer to another:
- Go to the PC that has the wfs.exe file and insert the flash drive in the USB port.
- On the same computer, open File Explorer by pressing Windows key + E.
- Find and locate the folder C:\WINDOWS\system32\WFS.exe, and copy-paste the file to your flash drive.
- Safely remove the flash drive from the computer and insert it into your PC.
- Now, copy-paste the wfs.exe from the flash drive to your computer file location C:\WINDOWS\system32 on File Explorer.
- Once that is done, restart your computer and see if the error “wfs.exe is missing” still shows up.
3] Check if Windows Fax and Scan feature is installed
You need to Check if Windows Fax and Scan feature is installed or not. If it is installed, re-install it and see. If it is not installed, you will have to install it.
Re-installing Windows Fax and Scan can help fix the wfs.exe error. There are different methods to install Windows Fax and Scan which include using the Settings app, running a command in the Command Prompt, or using the Control Panel. See the steps of each method below:
Use the following steps to install Windows Fax and Scan using the Settings app:
- Open Windows Settings by pressing the Windows Key + I.
- Click on the Apps option and locate Optional features on the left side of the window.
- Select View features, and a new window will appear.
- Type scan on the search box of the new window Add an additional feature.
- Tick the box next to Windows Fax and Scan, then Next, and to start the installation select Install to continue.
Use the following steps to install Windows Fax and Scan using the Command Prompt:
- On the search bar, type cmd to open the Command Prompt.
- Choose Run as administrator and click Yes on the User Account Control Prompt.
- Type the following command line and press Enter:
dism /Online /Add-Capability /CapabilityName:Print.Fax.Scan~~~~0.0.1.0
Use the following steps to install Windows Fax and Scan using the Control Panel:
- Open the Run dialog box and type appwiz.cpl, and press Enter. This will open Programs and Features in the Control Panel.
- On the top-left side of the panel, click on the Turn Windows features on or off option.
- A new small window will appear. Find and locate Windows Fax and Scan. Check the box next to it.
- Click OK, and if you get a prompt, choose Restart your computer.
We hope that one of the solutions helps you fix the missing wfs.exe file on your PC.
Where is the Windows Fax and Scan folder located?
By default, the Windows Fax and Scan folder is located in Scanned Documents, under the Documents folder. However, this applies only to documents that are scanned by the inbuilt Windows Fax and Scan tool. If you use a third-party tool, your folders might be saved in a different location, but in most cases, they are all under the Documents folder.
Why is my Windows Scan not working?
There are several reasons why your Windows Scan is not working. One of them is missing drivers. This makes it hard for your computer to communicate properly with your scanner. Other reasons why your Windows Scan is not working are corrupted system files, cable issues, disabled WIA service, or other hardware issues. You can fix this by checking each cause and trying to troubleshoot it.