In Windows 10/8/7, setting up your computer for receiving and sending faxes is very easy. Windows Fax and Scan application can practically turn your computer into a fax machine and proves to be a big money and time saver. Yow will be able to send and receive Fax online, without using a Fax machine. But before you can start faxing, your computer needs to be properly equipped.
Hardware Requirements for setting up Faxes:
If you’re planning to send and receive faxes at home, you first need to outfit your PC with a fax modem. A fax modem is a relatively inexpensive piece of add-on hardware that allows your computer to communicate with a fax machine over a standard phone line.
The devices are sold at major computer stores and come in two varieties: internal and external, Internal fax modems plug directly into your computer motherboard, similar to the way a video or sound card is plugged in. External fax modems are small devices that connect to the serial or USB ports.
If you’re at work, another option is to see if your employer has a fax server. Sending a fax using a fax server doesn’t require you to add any special hardware to your PC. You just set up a connection with the fax server and it will do the rest of the work.
How to send and receive Fax in Windows 10
Once you’ve picked up a fax modem or found a fax server, you’ll need to do a little setting up.
To set up a fax modem for home:
Before you begin, make sure you’ve properly installed your fax modem, and that it’s plugged in to a standard analog phone line.
- Click the Start button, click All Programs and then click Windows Fax and Scan.
- At the bottom of the left pane, click Fax and then click New Fax on the toolbar to launch the Fax Setup wizard.
- Click Connect to a fax modem and follow the instructions.
To set up a fax server for office:
Before you begin, make sure your computer is connected to the network and you know the network address of the fax server (for example, \\mycompanyfaxserver).
- Click the Start button, click All Programs, and then click Windows Fax and Scan.
- To use Fax view, click Fax at the bottom of the left pane.
- Click the Tools menu, and then click Fax Accounts.
- Click Add, and then, in the Fax Setup wizard, click Connect to a fax server on my network and follow the instructions.
Note: To connect to a fax server, you might need permission from the system administrator.
- Tags: Tips