This post features solutions to fix This add-in could not be started Outlook error. Outlook offers users a range of add-ins to enhance functionality and streamline workflows. However, like any other software, Outlook also encounters occasional errors that disrupt its seamless operation.
Why are Outlook add-ins not starting?
There are several different reasons why add-ins may not start or function as expected. One of the main reasons is if multiple add-ins attempt to access the same resources, leading to errors or instability. Some other reasons are:
- Outdated or incompatible add-ins
- Installation or activation issues
- Interference due to security applications
- Corrupted Outlook profile
Fix This add-in could not be started Outlook error
To fix This add-in could not be started error in Outlook, restart Outlook and try reinstalling the add-ins. However, if that doesn’t help, follow these suggestions:
- Update Add-ins
- Disable and Re-enable Outlook Add-ins
- Run Outlook in Safe Mode
- Create a New Outlook Profile
- Repair Office Installation
- Contact Add-in Developer
Now, let’s see these in detail.
1] Update Add-ins
Start by updating all the installed Outlook add-ins. To do so, check the manufacturer’s website for the latest versions and install the updates if available.
2] Disable and Re-enable the problematic Add-in
There’s a possibility that disabling and re-enabling the problematic add-in will solve this add-in could not be started error in Outlook. Here’s how:
- Open Outlook and click on Files > Options.
- The Outlook Options window will now open; navigate to the Add-ins tab here.
- Select COM Add-ins beside Manage and click on Go.
- Uncheck the add-in you want to disable and click on Ok.
- Close Outlook, restart your device, and enable the add-in again.
If doing so didn’t work, remove the add-in and then reinstall it.
3] Run Outlook in Safe Mode and enable only that addin
Running Outlook in safe mode will start the application without loading the installed add-ins or extensions. Here is how you can do it:
- Press and hold CTRL, then double-click on the Outlook.exe app icon.
- A prompt will now ask, “Do you want to start Outlook in Safe mode?”; click Yes.
- Select your Outlook Profile Name in the next screen and click OK.
- Outlook will now open in Safe Mode.
- Try using the add-in again and see if the error’s fixed.
If so then you will have to identify the addin that is conflicting with this one.
4] Create a New Outlook Profile
Sometimes the Outlook user profile can get corrupted and cause several errors. Creating a new Outlook profile can help fix the error. Here’s how:
- Open Control Panel and search for Mail.
- Click on Mail(Microsoft Outlook) and select Show Profiles.
- Click on Add and follow the instructions on-screen to create a new user profile.
5] Repair Office Installation
Next, you can consider repairing Outlook. It has been known to help most users get over this error. Here’s how to do it:
- Press Windows Key + I to open Settings and navigate to Apps > Apps & Features.
- Click on the office product you want to repair here and select Modify.
- Click Online Repair and follow the instructions on-screen.
6] Contact Add-in Developer
If none of these suggestions help you, contact the add-in developer’s support for further assistance and troubleshooting. They may have something to help.
I hope these suggestions help you.
How do I fix add-in error in Outlook?
To fix unable to open add-in error in Outlook, try disabling and then re-enabling the add-in. Next, check if the add-in is compatible with the Outlook version installed and reinstall it. However, if that doesn’t help, consider clearing Outlook’s cache data and running it in safe mode.
Why can’t I get add-ins on Outlook?
If you’re having trouble adding add-ins in Outlook, you’ll need to make some changes in the settings. To do so, navigate to File > Options > General and click on Privacy Settings. Here, make sure the Enable optional connected experiences is selected. If this option isn’t turned on Get Add-In, button may appear greyed out.