File Explorer in Windows 10 displays several layouts of files e.g. descriptions, tiles, text, and different sizes of icons. The snapshot of the file gives you a preview of the file when you choose one of the icon size formats like large icons or extra-large icons. This preview is especially for image files e.g. PNG or JPG. A common preview thumbnail is not displayed for other file formats.
There are three types of panes in File Explorer:
- Navigation pane,
- Preview pane and
- Details pane.
In this article, we will guide you through the whole procedure to display the preview pane for File Explorer in Windows 10.
Show Preview pane for File Explorer in Windows 10
Using the Preview panes in Windows 10 File Explorer, you can preview a file without opening it.
To display the Preview pane for file explorer in Windows 10, follow this procedure step by step.
- Open File Explorer by clicking the icon on the taskbar.
- When you open File Explorer, you will see four different tabs on top of the screen.
- Click the View tab as highlighted in the above image.
- As soon as you click the View tab, you will see that a ribbon will appear like this.
- Now click the Preview pane from the ribbon as highlighted in the above image.
- As you click the Preview pane option, this pane will be enabled.
Now, whatever file is selected by you, its contents will appear in the Preview pane and you will be able to view it without opening it.
This is how an image file appears.
By following this procedure, you will be able to display the Preview pane for File Explorer in Windows 10 and see the contents of the file without opening them.
There is another way. Simply press Alt+P to make it appear or disappear.
I hope you find this tip useful.
See this post if Preview Pane is missing or not working.
TIP: You can also Preview files in Windows 10 using these free apps.